Will a 2wd pull a boat outta the water?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Griffith 2

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knows from experience.. If so what is the max weight. I'm looking at buying a boat during the winter when prices fall. Thanks for any help.

Usually it will. But, steep, wet, slippery ramp? Who knows. I've seen some where it might be tough even for 4WD. Don't go there.

With the right set of tires, yes.

I've pulled out of moderately steep ramps where my wheels were in wet sand or slippery red, Georgia river bottom clay. Did this with Firestone Wilderness AT and Pirelli Scorpion AT. My ST is 2wd w/limited slip differential.

Highway tires are another story. I've gotten stuck with HT tires (Michelin Cross Terrain) in exact spots where the AT tires worked.

I will never go back to HT tires on my ST (or any truck or SUV), unless I know with 100% certainty the vehicle will not leave the pavement.

Edit: Regarding weights, these were 2500 to 4000 pounds, including trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a 2006 Four Winns Horizon 200. It's a 20 footer weighing in at a hefty 4500lbs. Our issues with steep ramps stems from the fact that we have a manual tranny. The truck doesn't have a low enough gear to get it going when coming up a steep ramp. On most ramps we don't have any problems. We really scope out ramps before heading to any new lakes.

I don't think we would have any problems if we had an automatic tranny. hmmm....seems like a good time to post a picture of both of our babies.... This was at Lake Mead. We have no problems here.

[Broken External Image]:

Not sure what the weight of my boat is, but it's not light and pushes the limits of what I'd pull with my ST. Regardless, I have no troubles what-so-ever pulling my boat out of the ramp with my 2WD. However, I also make note of the good ramps to use. Like Bill said, if it's steep and not used a lot (lots of algea and growth), or it's low tide (if there are tides), then the variables start working against you. Just use your good judgement. Don't slam on the gas, just ease it out and it should be fine. Maybe even have someone sit on your tailgate if you're really worried.

My 20.5' Wellcraft.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Your concerns are valid ones, I used to get stuck in my 2wd ranger in snow all the time. Among many other things I did, one was to put a covered bucket of rough gravel in the back. If I needed traction I'd just pepper the area with it. You want the rocks with sharp edges, not the smooth river rock type stuff. Very Course sand from those traction tubes of sand worked also on ice, but probably wouldn't work as well on a boat launch.

The other thing is to check out online some of the traction aid devices. I've got one that folds up easily, that unfolds into 2 ladder-like things about 2 feet long. You slip them under the wheels and the hard edges of the metal grab the pavement/ice/dirt/boat launch. You should be able to pull out easily with them.

Hope these ideas help!

--Bob