winter driving

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bart Adkins

Reaction score
I just drove to and from my parents house for the holiday. With the wife and three sons in tow, we set off across North East Ohio during the first real snow of the season. My parents live right in the snow belt. They get all the lake effect snow, and we live in the boonies where they don't do anything to the roads. I had the utmost confidence in the Trac and it didn't let me down. I don't have (or want, or need) four wheel drive, and I don't load the bed down with extra weight like I had to do in my old Ranger. The Trac's performance on crappy, snowy roads was, as always, excepional. Not once did I loose traction or slide one bit. Thank you, Ford for building such a safe, and reliable vehicle. I LOVE my Sport Trac!!!:wub:

We had a huge blizzard here last Tuesday/Wednesday. My 4wd Trac was fantastic. I have had other 4wd trucks. Most noteable a Scout 2. This ST is a dream to drive and I drive everyday of the year. In fact I drove my ST just for the fun of driving it through the snow. I was pushing snow with the headlights and never had so much as a fart out of it. Wow, this is one fantastic truck. In my work, I see the results of vehicles slamming into each other through driver error. Interestingly enough I have never been to a collision where a ST was severely damaged. My next vehcile..........another ST.:wub:

Bart,

I lkive in Akron. We get snow, but not like those that live in the belt do. I, like you, have a 4x2. In some ways, I wish I had 4x4, but only in the winter where I think I may have a problem, but never do.

I don't put any weight in the bed becuase I don't need any.

Personally, I think it has everything to do on the driver. Once you get used to winter driving, it isn't that bad.

If you ever want to hopp up sometime, shoot me an email.

Tom

How does your ST do in 20 ft. swells.

Sorry...............just kidding:D

I had a 4x2 Sport Trac and drove it one time skiing in Colorado during a snow storm. The tail end couldn't hold traction on the steep climbs. I grew up driving in the mountains of Colorado. I was not impressed with the handling of the ST in snow and icy conditions compared to a Bronco or Blazer. Sold it and bought an ST 4x4, I'm much happier now, especially with the heated leather seats ! No problem getting up to the ski hill now ! :D

The drivers down here are not used to snowy/icy roads, so it is pretty dangerous when we get some. I try to save up enough vacation days so that if it does get nasty, I just stay home. Not worth the risk.

That's one of the things I read in an email called Lessons For Yankees Moving South.

13. Just because YOU know how to drive in snow doesn't mean WE do. Stay home.

14. If you do get stuck, some rednecks in a 4x4 with a chain and a case of beer will be along to help. Just let them, they live for this.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bart I would be interested to know what kind of rubber your ST is wearing??? I am going to Vermont for the x-mas hollidays and my ST is a 4x2 as well. I am buying tires next week and though I would like Revo's it just isnt in a family mans budget..

I know that a lot of folks here dont like Wrangler tires, but my father in law just got the new Wrangler Silent Armor. they are probably some of the most aggressive on/offroad tires I have seen in a while. They have awesome grip, and dont make a lot of noise onthe road. they are my next tire for sure.

I suspect for you guys with 4x2's good winter tires are the best thing to have. My 4x4 ST has the stock tires still on it after only 14K miles and it's slips in snow and rain. Same was true with an old GMC S-15 I had (2-wheel drive), it was only as good as the snow tires I had on her.

TJR