winter help!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Hasty

Reaction score
I live in Indiana and we are supposed to get our first snow of the year later this week. I just bought my ST a couple months ago and was wondering what all I need to do to prepare it for winter. Do I need to put weight in the back for traction? If so, how much? It is an Adrenalin 4x4. I love it so far. I have brand new BFG A/T's on it. How does it compare to other rear wheel drive trucks?

Up here in Lake Effect Heaven (Buffalo) i have never had to put any type of weight in my ST ('03 XLT 4x4). anytime that I needed to use 4wd just shift on the fly and go...My trac once went through 2' of snow at one time and drove like a champ, w/o the 4wd could be a problem in that depth but most of the time 6" and under she's fine even in 2wd. Like any vehicle/weather event, going slow is your best bet even for a lead foot like me! Weight in the back would help you in 2wd but not necessarily for 4. Like you i'm getting ready for the white stuff putting ceramic pads on while it's 62 tomorrow as Sat. it will be in the 20's. We already had 2'+ during our october storm in which FEMA was called in and I guess we're getting a little on Saturday--Tis the season have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Calgary, Alberta. I have owned an 01 and an 03 ST. I fully agree with Starkey, it rides just fine without weight. The ST isn't like a regular pick-up with a big box and no weight in the rear, it is balanced a little better and behaves really well on snow and ice.

James, you may want to invest in a snow plow. Two Christmases ago I had to deal with two feet of snow in Evansville, because the road crews apparently took the holidays off. The ST did fine with 4WD and Revos, but I thought is was inexcusable for snow to be left on I-64 and Evansville city streets for a long weekend with no attempt to remove it. I'm sure numerous people were killed because of their neglect, and I saw many stranded and wrecked vehicles that weekend. Amazingly, the roads were dry when I reached the Illinois state line.

last winter i didnt even use the 4x4 in the winter. the trac handled a foot of snow like it was nothing. it is not like other trucks where most of the weight is concentrated in the front. the weight is pretty evenly distributed throughout the vehicle. no need for weight in the back. if it comes down to it, use the 4x4 and you should be fine

Just check the 4X4 now on a wet road or some dirt or on a straightaway, you should exercise the 4X4 every now and then...

Todd Z

Nelson:

I remember that winter here in Evansville like it was yesterday. I was stuck here at work for 28 hours and could not leave the plant. The sheriff's department were giving tickets to motorists trying to drive. I did not have my ST at the time, bt a 4x4 Blazer and I did not have any issues once the road crew people figured out what they were going to do!:D

Extra weight isn't totally necessary, I use a few sandbags I had leftover from my Ranger. If you've not had a 4x4 before, the driving technique on snow and ice is a little different.

#1, don't get overconfident and go too fast. Gas and/or going too fast around corners in 4wd, the front end will slide straight ahead. So go slower than you might want to so you can use a little gas to power out of a situation.

#2, while 4x4's GO better in the snow they don't STOP any better (maybe worse since they're heavy). Also while ABS will keep the wheels from skidding, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll stop before you hit something.