Wont start

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Varley

Reaction score
Hey All today i went out to start my trac and it would crank but not start up. It is cold today 30 degrees out so i checked fuses and inertia switch all were fine. So i took off air filter sprayed some starting fluid in started up and kept running. Now it starts right up. Any ideas what it could be dont want it to happen again and get stranded.

Early Sport Tracs have fuel pump issues. The pumps leak fuel pressure when sitting for long periods of time like overnight. This appears to be more common when the temperature starts to drop.

Another problem is with the steering column wiring harness that gets stretched when the tilt wheel is used. This can be very intermittent and can effect all the wiring going through the steering column which includes the horn, lights, wipers, turn signals, starter and ignition. Remove the column covers and check the wiring and connector. Sometimes the wires pull loose, and other times they may break. Pull up enough slack in the wiring to insure that there is no tension on the wiring when the wheel is tilted all the way up or down.

...Rich

Could be anything from a bad fuel pump to a faulty sensor, just sayng it didn't start doesn't give anyone much to go on. What I do know for sure though is that any modern day gas engine does not take kindly to having starting fluid forced down it's throat.

Latest posts