Worn leaf spring pads?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Jefferys

Reaction score
I took my 03 ST in today have shocks installed (Rancho 5000's) and asked the mechanic to track down a very annoying "squeak" that I get when starting/stopping/hitting a bump if the shocks turned out not to be the culprit.

The mechanic said that I'm getting the squeak because several of my leaf spring pads are worn out / non-existent. He used a lubricant between the springs and it's a lot better but not completely gone. He said that the leaf pads might have to be replaced to get it to go away completely.

Anyone else have this problem? Did I wear out the leaf pads because I waited too long to replace the pitiful stock shocks (I just broke 59k)?

I'm loving the 5000's, btw. Unbelievable difference! The ST feels higher and is *much* better turning and over bumps (I'd still like to get a sway bar as well at some point, though).

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a lot more "lubing" today after doing a better search and finding a post on a similiar problem from a while back. Sprayed the Teflon White Lithium Grease in between all the leaves on the other side, then sprayed the sway bar bushings on both sides as well for good measure. The annoying squeak is now gone.

Still don't get if the 'pad' wear is something that's normal, but the squeak's gone for now...