Would you tow this?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Pickwell

Reaction score
It would be 40 miles max. I live in Knoxville and would be going to Pigeon Forge for the weekends.

Yes, I would add oil and tranny cooler with trailer brake. I have an upgraded hitch than factory.

I have the 2002 Sport Trac with automatic transmission.

Dry weight on these are: Dry weight (pounds): 4660

example: http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/rvs/1320884911.html

I towed an enclosed 8x10 trailer cross country through the mountains weighing 4500lbs, with no issues.

So depending on how much other stuff you are going to put it you should be fine since the towing capacity is slightly over 5000..

As with anything, safety is the biggest concern. Drive like you have a hot cup of coffee on the dash that you do not want to spill.

You will be fine.

Anticipate stops, start and stop slowly and gradually, that kind of thing.

After you put water in it and all your other junk I am gonna bet that you will be very close to 5500 lbs if not over. The weight is a killer but one thing I think that is being overlooked here is the front dimension of that trailer, as big as it is I bet it is like adding another 1000 lbs of weight while under way. IMO that is too big of a trailer to be towing with a 6 cylinder ST. If you do decide to tow it though you better make sure that you have trailer brakes adn probably an anti sway kit also.