Wrecked the ST :(

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Teitell

Reaction score
I got in a wreck today and luckily the people in both of the cars are fine. My question is after looking at my pics why has my bed shifter......please say that doesnt have do with the frame!!![Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Sorry to hear about this. Good that everyone is fine though. I know it's been said here many times, but it's true: that really is the only important thing.

As to bed shifting, the same thing happened to mine. I was hit in the same corner, but mostly on the tailgate, in the at the same level as the bottom of the bed, not on the bumper so much.

I was worried that the frame was bent, but they say it passed a laser check. That was last fall, and since it was repaired I certainly haven't noticed any problems. No irregular tire wear or handling problems.

Hope everything turns out OK for you.

One of three things. Either the frame did bend, the bed slid within the alignment holes (slotted to allow adjustment of the bed), or the bed broke at the mounts and is twisted due to torque on the cracked/broken mounts.

Kruncher, did you get it fix by ford and if so how much, i really dont want to put it on insurance since i have already had one wreck and i am saving money since i am going to be a freshamn in college.

If it was the others persons fault it shouldn't affect your insurance should it?

Yikes, how do you get your rear end looking like you were rear ended and it be your fault?

No i was at a stop sign, and a truck was trurning right coming towards me it was a big f-350 and i couldnt see behind it and i thought i was clear but i wasnt and a minivan hit me.

Oh, I think I got ya, you were hit on the very rear portion of the drivers side, correct? Is the minivan driver fine with you not going through insurance? I have heard of cases where people payed without using insurance, and then when the other person decides to sue two years later you are liable because the insurance companies claim you should have gone through them to begin with. I guess this could all depend on where you live. You will have to price out repairs, it might be cheaper just dealing with increased insurance for a few years compared to paying for your plus the other guys repairs.

You were turning right, and the big F-350 was turning to his right, down the same street

that you were turning OFF of, making your right-hand turn, on to the road that you wanted

to get on? The Mini-Van may have been hidden behind the large truck (F-350), as he

made his turn and you INNOCENTLY and INADVERTATANTLY cut out in front of

him (the mini-van), as you did not see him behind the F-350?!?!

I have had this same scenario happen to me a dozen times!!!

Someone gets in a hurry to pass someone turning to the right or, even left, and pulls out into the oncoming lane of traffic, and then when they pull back in to their normal lane of traffic, there

is someone making an innocent right hand turn (in this case), they are up to the full posted

speed limit, since they did not follow the posted traffic laws, and brake and slow down to

allow the person in front of them to turn, they got in a hurry and tried to pass or partially

pass on the left hand side of the person turning, and when they came around them, out of the left

hand turn, or left lane, they were still going the posted speed limit, and an average driver would

not expect this, as they are supposed to brake behind the turning driver and wait for a clear

lane of traffic to proceed! If I am correct, share this with Your (an) Attorney, if not, I'm

goin' back to driving school, again, as I have had this happen to me many times!

PO ST, I hope this helps you!!!:D

Pimped, if you were at a stop sign turning right onto a main road, and the big F-350 was turning right off the main road on the road you were on, then I assume that the F-350 and the minivan behind him didnt' have a stop sign?

If that's the case, then it sounds like your fault, as you say. You aren't supposed to enter an intersection from a stopped point unless it is clear and safe to do so.

There is one intersection like that which I travel every day. I am traveling down the main road, and there is a side road off to the right, and those at the side road turning onto the main road have a stop sign. Invariably I am behind someone who is turning right off the main road onto the side road (and they don't have a stop sign in that direction). As they slow to turn, I often feel the urge to go out and around them on the left.

It's good that I don't...because it's a double yellow, and because 9 out of 10 times the guy in front of me slowing to turn gives the people stopped at the side road the "time" to turn left...even though they can see me and I am right behind the guy turning.

Watch out for the other guy and don't be in a hurry.

TJR

No, I didn't get it fixed by Ford. I talked to my local dealer, and they said that they wouldn't do that kind of work, they'd have it done by another local company, actually across the street from them. So I took it directly to those guys. They'd fixed my Caravan a few years ago, so I was familiar with them anyway.

My incident cost my insurance company (we have public insurance here - everybody has to get their basic coverage with them, but you can get your optional coverage elsewhere) over $5,200 Canadian.

Here's a link to my bad memory. Hope yours doesn't turn into a nightmare. :(

When I'm stuck behind a big rig like a F-350 making a right turn, I usually move to the far right edge of my lane so that a driver in the road to my right can see that I'm behind them.

* Daytime Running Lights definitely have saved me from accidents in these instances *

Amazes me how many people will make a right turn into a intersection without making sure the oncoming lane is clear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts