Wrong Transmission in Trac?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Smith

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I'm sure there is an explanation for this. In my 2004 owners guide (2x2) it explains how to read the certification label on the door to determine which transmission you have (getting ready to service with fluid/filter change). I know I'm supposed to have a 5r55e automatic 5 speed overdrive, but the code for that is listed as "J", and my sticker says "D", which is for "Electric automatic 5 speed overdrive - 5r44e" according to the owners guide. Any ideas? Thank you.

I would say you still have a 5r55e. Not sure if there is really any difference between the two except one is "electronic shift", but I thought all the ST's were "electronic shift since there really isn't a "second" gear in the tranny.:wacko:

The Sport Trac's Automatic transmission is the 5R55E. I never heard of the 5R44E ?? There was a 4R44E that was nearly identical to the 5R55E except it was only a 4 speed automatic? I think the sticker may be wrong?

...Rich

Just some useless information.....

Beginning with the start of production for 2001, Ford introduced a new-model transmission with the designation 5R44E, a five-speed transmission that replaces the previous-design 4R44E. This new 5R44E model, like the 5R55E transmission, has an added intermediate-shaft-speed (ISS) sensor.

Changes also were made to the PCM strategy, which now includes shift-adaptive pressure-control strategy.

The 5R44E transmission is used in 2001 Rangers with 2.3L and 3.0L engines, and the new design 5R55E transmissions is in Ranger and Explorer models with 4.0L engines.

The 5R44E transmission was added to establish a commonality among transmission models, and the 155 sensor was necessary for the new PCM shift-adaptive pressure-control strategy. Some parts changes have been made to these new units. NONE of the parts listed are interchangeable with the previous design level parts.

Transmission Case - New transmission case casting and machining to accommodate the added ISS sensor.

ISS sensor - This provides additional information for the PCM to determine various incremental pressure changes to minimize the difference between the actual and ideal shift timing for shift-adaptive pressure control strategy.

Sun Shell - Now manufactured with windows and used to trigger the added ISS sensor.

Power train Control Module - Operational changes that includes shift-adaptive electronic-pressure-control strategy.

Shift-Adaptive Electronic-Pressure-Control Strategy

This strategy allows for improved control over the transmission shift events. On the basis of various input signals, the strategy calculates an actual shift time and compares it with an ideal shift time. Once the vehicle is up to operating temperature, incremental pressure changes are made to minimize the difference

between actual and ideal shift times. Over time the adaptive learning process will fully update keep-alive memory (KAM). The more varied the driving habits, the longer the update will take. However, the adaptive learning process also will be more complete. Adaptive pressure control strategy is capable of adapting up shifts, closed-throttle downshifts and garage shifts.

If for any reason the vehicle loses power to the KAM, the transmission will return to its present level. Reasons for this happening are a disconnected or fully discharged battery, PCM disconnected while the battery is still connected, or updated calibration programmed into the PCM.

Not to hijack the thread but

what the heck happends in my sport trac's transmision that makes it seen like it has 5, 6 or even seven gears:wacko:. i thought it was only a 4 speed.

what i mean is that by the revs it seems the trany is sliping and then sudenly the revs go down like it changed to a new gear but if you step on the gas slightly the revs will go back up slightly like it down shifted. (To me it seems it's in the same gear but with some slipeage to rev the engine up to speed like when you take off in a manual trans car)

Thanks

what the heck happends in my sport trac's transmision that makes it seen like it has 5, 6 or even seven gears. i thought it was only a 4 speed.

First off, the Trac has a 5 speed automatic.

For some people it feels like a 6 speed because the last "shift" you sometimes feel is your torque converter locking up.

Tom

Also you may feel the torque converter locking between shifts also, All depends on the timing and speed...

Todd Z

Todd, sounds like you know these transmissions, and they are not identical.

So, I guess I should ask for a service kit for a 5r44e transmission, like my certification label (Code "D") indicates? vs. a 5r55e?

Thank you for your help, need to get this done.

Latest posts