X-Spec @ EE -- HUH?!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
I am thinking of ordering the X-Spec suspension, actually I will order it, but I was just looking at thier pricing... how does this make sense?

01 ST X-Spec Package = $724.95.

Now lets break that down into buying it individually.

Lowered Suspension Shocks (4) @ $69.95/ea

Lowering kit for 01 ST @ $169.95

X-Spec Sway Bar @ $179.95

Front and Rear Bumpers @ $89.95

----------------------------------------

Total = $719.65

This would have the be the first time ive ever seen where buying more is more money??

What gives?

I thought the same thing. The answer is the shipping, it is more expensive to pack and ship multiple individual items than one big one.

I was going buy individual components becasue I DON'T want the Edelbrock shocks becasue of their fairly well documented durability issues. Of course, I could just Ebay them.

I remember this was actually brought up before, Just cant find it...

Todd Z

Well the shipping is not really an reason why it should be more money.

I am paying for the parts, not the shipping, the shipping is paid by me on top of the parts price.

So in other words, they are charging extra for the convenience of only having to add one item to your cart, rather than 4. -- Sad :\

Think about shipping the parts seperately, that would be four boxes with additional packing and labor, plus the added cost of handling four different orders. Since labor is the most expensive component of almost all businesses, it is pretty simple to understand. Also, most shippers, like UPS or FedEx, charge less for one 40 lb package than 4 10 lb packages.

You are correct, shipping and handling are paid by you, if you order seperately you pay some of that four times instead of one.

So what is stopping you from ordering seperately and saving the bucks? I am pretty certain it will actually cost you more to order seperately once the shipping is added, check it out.

Your theory is kinda ass backward ;)

If they have to handle the parts less, they are charging more for the parts?

Handling 4 Boxes instead of 1 is cheaper?

That still dont make sense ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My expeireance, in modifying cars has always been cheaper to buy a whole kit...that kinda sucks...:eek:

Chris, why don't you call them and ask. I checked shipping from EE to Miami, FL and it was an additional $40 (for ground). It's a five dollar difference and perhaps something on the website is incorrectly marked or they made an error adding things up, or they're being sneaky (hardly seems worth it for five bucks). The website is supposed to be being updated and this may be part of the reason, incorrect info. May not hurt to call them, if nothing else for their take on it.

When im ready to order I will ask the questions for sure.

I dont mean to be making a big stink over it, but I just thought it was really odd.

That message has been on the site since 04 !!!!!!!

Todd Z

They do not sell shipping, they sell parts.

Yep, they sell it and the customer pays for it.

OK for those of you who still don't understand. The kit is cheaper because the shipping more than makes up the difference. It soesn't suck and it isn't ass backwards. It IS, however, cheaper. By cheaper I mean the price you are charged!

According to the EE site, if I order the kit and ship to Atlanta the cost is $ 724.95, shipping is $ 24.56, insurance is $ 1.81 for a total of $ 751.32. Ordered seperately it the cost is $ 719.65, shipping of 53.70 and insurance of 1.80 for a total of $ 775.15.. Please explain how the seperate items are cheaper than the kit? Is that the NEW math??? 751 > 755 and 1+1=47

Chris - Thank you foir the gratuitous and ignorant insult. My theory is not ass backwards and it isn't a theory, it is a fact as explained to me by EE when I called them about a year ago. It is also something I learned from shipping a boatload of stuff on Ebay, running businesses for the last 20 years and from just generally paying attention and realizing that the price listed is not the price that I will eventually pay.

What I said was the total price that yoiu pay for the parts AND shipping is lower if you buy the kit than if you seperate it. If you want to learn this the hard way, ship four 10 lb items in four boxes, then ship them in one box and see which is cheaper. Measure how long it takes you to pack, address and ship the four items versus the one item. Price that time at about $ 19/hr. Let us know how it works out.

Sucks being wrong doesn't it?:D

Econ 101 is now dismissed.

I would DEFINATELY call them before you order anything. That half-banner on their main page only basically gives them the legal (but not moral) right to advertise any price and then decide to e-mail/call you and say "Hey this item has gone up in price this much, and shipping is actually this much more." It happened to me.

Not trying to knock EE because if they offered the best price on something I would buy from them, but my experience with the Magnaflow exhaust makes me a bit hesitant.

As far as this shipping versus total kit price is concerned, I think consumers are just used to saving when buying in bulk or buying kits. Maybe just a marketing tool to make sure someone actually gets the whole kit. If you buy one piece, you would have to come back at least once more to get the other pieces. If they take a mere $5.00 loss (for example) just to get you to buy everything, then it's well worth it. So in this particular scenario, the savings are a little backwards because you are not saving in total price but you ARE saving in terms of packing materials and shipping cost. Either way you look at it you are saving some money in the long run, so what's the difference?

Im wrong?

The money by the company is made by selling thier parts. If I was to pick up locally, what then? I have to pay more for ALL the parts, and less if I asked for them individually?

Using the shipping for a profit is unethical, and basically a scam in my opinion.

Basically they are saying -- 'well the shipping is cheaper on the whole package, so im going to make myself $5.00 more... ' I guess this is how some people do busines, I always run an honest business.

If you ask me, its EE thats wrong, in using the shipping as leverage to make more money on the parts that they bought for the same price weather it be the kit or single components.

You know its wrong.

Sucks to be wrong doesn't it?

Wrong from the standpoint that the kit is cheaper than seperately. That is ALL I have said, the price you pay for the kit is cheaper than individually. That is all I have said. I have tried to explain it, but you don't seem to understand.

If you picked them up locally, you could pick them up individually for less money and EE wouldn't have to ship them. You save because you are providing the labor involved in assembling and delivering the kit to you, the end customer. I think it is pretty reasonable that it costs EE $ 5 to have somebody gather all the parts and package them for your convenience. Why is this so hard to understand?

Is the problem that EE does not choose to offer a discount for the parts when they are bought together? Why should they? Just because others do, doesn't mean they have to or should. T It is their decision to price it, our decision to buy. Go to the grocery store and buy a ready to go meal or one of those fruit trays. Is it cheaper than the individual ingredients? Nope. Why? The labor to assemble it for your convenience. Simple, right?

Unethical or dishonest? How? They tell you the price, you choose to buy it or not. That isn't unethical, that is capitalism in it's purest form. It would be unethical to hide something or not include a part and then make you pay more for the "real" kit, etc etc. EE is so unethical and dishonest that it took me all of about five minutes to get the pricing info. Those deceptive bastards!!!

If you really think they are unethical and dishonest, you shouldn't buy from them.

On the subject of "wrong", there is nothing that EE is doing that is morally, ethically or legally wrong. They simply have the temerity to charge for the service of assembling the kit. The bastards!!

The only "wrong" idea in this thread is that the kit costs more on the bottom line and the notion that EE doesn't have a perfectly good right to charge whatever price they wish to charge.

oh god, dont spend that much money on that crap. ;)

lowering blocks and u bolts --- $30

Loosening the torsions ---- FREE (which is what they will tell you to do!!)

Bumpstops ----- $30 *WHICH YOU DONT NEED AT ALL*

Swaybars are up to you, personally i dont have that problem cuz my sway bars and shocks are in a ditch behind my house. Swaybars are way overrated :D .

So total for drop is............ $30

DING DING DING DING

$30 or $700

Let me think about that one for a minute :unsure:

Dale,

I don't think the problem is that they think the kit should be cheaper. Why should the kit cost more then if you ordered everything seperatly?

Tom

just for a note---

when i had my trac lowered 3" with blocks in the rear and 1.5" loosened torsion in the front, man it handled like a dream. really. just bottomed out all the time on the front and always the rear bumpstops.

Latest posts