x-spec lowering kit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keola P

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience installing the 3" lowering kit for the 02'-05' sport trac from explorer express? Was there a noticeable change in handling or ride quality? How easy/difficult was the install? Pics?

This should help, plus a couple of projects under "Ride & Handling" on lowering the gen 1 ST. I personally do not have any experience with the X-Spec kit, but I do have the EE sway bar which is a Big improvement along with new shocks. Do the front end links as well. ;)

Already upgraded all 4 shocks to rancho rs5000's and added the EE rear sway bar. Huge improvement in itself, wondering if I should take it a step further and lower it a few inches.

I installed the EE kit a few yrs back,Hi quality kit and the U-bolts actualy fit properly.

Did the Kit, TT, camber kit and alighnment all the same day.

Ride Quality was not effected.

TT and EE kit was an easy install, had the tire shop do the Camber kits.

I have the same experience as bill barber. Although I have KYB's on the rear and Monroe Reflex on the front. I love the improved handling and feel.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Most have had trouble with the service life of the edelbock shocks with the kit. The rest of the kit is good.

Yeah I installed the 3" blocks on the rear. But I could only get about 1" out of the front w/ the tt. So I bought new keyways for the torsion bars so I could go lower. I ended up lowering about 4" in the front which makes it ride pretty rough on bumps. Its a little lower in the front so I am looking to find some 2" blocks for the rear to give a total of 5" drop for the rear. I am hesitant to stack the blocks but once installed it think I will have the blocks tack welded together. You can look in my photos and see that the rear needs to be dropped more. So to answer your question my truck does ride rough on harsh bumps. I hate all that fender well opening at stock ride height.

The amount you lowered yours would be perfect for mines. I have 20 in. rims on right now and I think 3" would be perfect. Have you thought of upgrading to larger aftermarket rims? The larger wheels would give the appearance of a lower stance, I don't think you need to lower it any more. I'm not fond of the rear end sag you see in a lot of lowered and lifted vehicles, kind of like the front a little lower than the back. What's these "keyways" for the torsion bars you speak of?

I think my truck is a little to raked. But thats just me. And man would I love some rims but.................. I have 3 young ( 8,4,1 ) children and I cant justify rims. So you ask about the keyways? They are the piece on the end of your torsion bar that you lift and lower on to change the vehicles height. You can buy some aftermarket ones that are cut at a different degree so you can go lower. And thats what I needed. After I bought that kit from EE I had that rear end sag you mentioned. It was pretty bad. Like I said I could only get 1 " w/ the factory keyways. Some people get a lot more. But I guess they are all built different. I cant remember right off where I bought the keyways but if you need to know email on monday and I will let you know. I hope this helps.

Charles

Latest posts