XCAL III and Exhaust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Reed 2

Reaction score
Hey everyone i was going to go to a muffler shop today because i want to remove my muffler and the resonator, and i was wondering if you all had any suggestions of what to ask for.

Also i want to buy the XCAL III, but i dont know what tunes to get (looking for performance mainly) and how to install. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Depending on the octane ratings of fuel in your normal fill up area, Id get an 87 economy tune for long trips to max the fuel economy. I'd get a 87 performance tune so you can kick up the power on the same octane fuel you use for economy driving. If you really want to upgrade in performance, go with a 93 octane performance tune. The 93 is a pretty big difference over stock. Night and day.

The Xcal 3 can store 3 codes so you can have them all on one device. I take mine with me all the time. I've only had experiance with the 93 Performance tune thus far. I've only had it since Wed. of this week! The power is awesome.

To install you just plug it into the port under your driver's side dash and upload your stock program and download your custom tune. The Xcal 3 has very easy to follow command prompts.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go with Torrie at fastpartsnetwork (he's a sponsor of the site) he'll probably send you an 87 mpg, 87 performance, and a high octane performance tune 91 or 93 depending on what you have access to.

If you're not satisfied with any of the tunes, Torrie will tweak the tunes and get it to your liking.

So far I used the 87 performance tune and currently I'm using the 91 performance tune. If you already done some basic mods under the hood, the xcal really does a lot to bring that out..........unleashes your engines wild side:cool:. Shifting has improved as well, it's a lot firmer now and shifts when it should. I've also seen an improvement in gas mileage.

psycareyo, sorry your xcal experience hasn't been the best for you. Heard you had some shifting problems. Hopefully Torrie can help you out with that soon.

Well the problems were there before. It's a common issue with the Gen2 6 speed.

with the 93 octane tune the vehicle feels extremely strong. Very big improvement. The problem I have is that the power seems to be "having trouble getting through" the transmission. It bogs when it shifts and the actual shifting action takes way to long. I don't mind the shift points, just the action.

Hopefully when FMC lets us into the TCM Torrie can help me fix it so it's exactly what I want.

I'd like more bottom end power. It seems to really put the power down when it's in the higher gears and mid-high rpm.

Now we need some dyno numbers on the gen 2s

The trannys on the gen 2s are CVTs,Correct? am thinking the woes that most are going thru is just a learning curve, CVTs are mush boxs, thats the way they work

Now we need some dyno numbers on the gen 2s

The trannys on the gen 2s are CVTs,Correct? am thinking the woes that most are going thru is just a learning curve, CVTs are mush boxs, thats the way they work

Nope, 6 speed trannys. A CVT does not have "gears" so they are not called 6 speed/5speed etc.

Fully understand that O, they run off of belts,but they still have gears, my question was, I believe the gen 2s have CVT trannys

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts