Xcal2 info

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Foy

Reaction score
Since so many members have been asking questions regarding the tuning with the Xcal2, I decided to do a write up on it.

First, some answers to the Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Will your products void my warranty?

A: No. In some provinces & states it is illegal for a dealership to void your warranty based solely on the fact that you have installed an aftermarket product. Please check with your local dealership and verify the laws in your area, including the Magnusson/Moss warranty act.

Q: What do your products do?

A: Our products modify the program in the pcm to achieve better performance. In many cases this is required to work with many aftermarket parts.

Q: Can your product be used on more than one vehicle?

A: Our products support many vehicles. However, only one vehicle can be tuned at a time. Our programmers vin lock to the vehicle. You can return one vehicle back to stock and then use it on another vehicle.

Q: Can my vehicle be returned back to stock?

A: Yes, our programmers save the original stock program and can always be restored at a later date.

Q: What is a programmer (Xcal2)?

A: A programmer is a device that reprograms the factory pcm through the OBD2 port underneath the dash. It stores up to three programs and the customer can toggle between the three. It can read/clear trouble codes and reset check engine lights. The programmers can also datalog parameters to show you exactly what the pcm is doing.

To load the program in the vehicle, you plug into the OBD2 port, select which program you wish to load, and hit enter. The device then uploads the factory file into the unit and saves it for return when desired, and then uploads the performance file into the PCM. It takes around 6-8 mins the first time you load a file in. After that, to load in a new file takes around 3 mins due to the fact that the factory file is already in the memory.

Q: Can I have my programmer reprogrammed for modifications that I make in the future?

A: Yes, our programmers can be updated with new tunes at anytime. Just email me with the new modifcations, and I can email you a tune back with the adjustments made for your new modification, if it is required.

Q: Can I load custom tune files into my custom flash device that a dealer has sent me?

A: Yes. I offer Custom Tune files via e-mail. In order to load the file into your programmer you will need to have a standard usb cable and the free software available in the support section of SCTs website.

Q: What kind of performance gains will I see from the programming?

A: As with most factory assembled vehicles, there are variations in base horsepower from vehicle to vehicle. But, I can give you the averages for the gains I have seen during dyno runs.

For 87 oct, stock (no modifications) you should see 6-8 hp and around 8 ftlbs of torque.

On prem octane (91+) I have seen as much as 14 hp and 17ftlbs, but again, that all depends on the vehicles base hp and programming.

As you modify the ST, your power gains will increase.

Q:What kind of mileage gains should I see with your programming?

A: Mileage is based on several factors. It can be decreased by improper tire inflation, lack of maintenance, and the driver of course. All other things being equal, you should see an increase of AT LEAST 2-3 mpg.

For the programming on the Xcal2:

With me owning a Sporttrac, it has been a huge advantage to you as members for tuning. Since we bought our ST brand new, it has allowed me to test it and develop tuning for these vehicles in various stages and modifcation levels. My ST has had no less than 250 different programs loaded into it for testing.

For the tuning, I have options for 87 oct, 89 oct, 91 oct, 92/93 oct and race fuel over 100 octane as well. I have progra

Last edited by a moderator:
Wayne,

Fantastic explanation and descrption of what this product does. Thanks for all your help

in clearing up in my mind what this will do for my ST.

Terry:D:D

Wayne, thanks, sounds great, and something fun to play with. If I were to get an Xcal2for my '02 ST, and then I sold the '02 and picked up an '07 (V8), could the loader just be reloaded with programs appropriate for the '07, or would it require starting from scratch? Just debating whether I should just wait until I get an '07 (not a certainty, but likely) to get an Xcal2 or just get one soon, use it on the '02, then tweak it (if possible) for the '07 at a later date. Thanks.

PRM" ]Wayne said:
Wayne,

I working very hard on that. Hopefully, (IF SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED WILL AGREE:rolleyes by the middle to the end of June.

Thanks,

Terry

I completely understand sir. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Wayne, exactly what I was looking for. Now, like Terry, I have to justify this. :rolleyes:

Truc Trac, if you can keep your foot out of the floorboard, you will see an increase. It's just so hard to resist the temptation to floor it when you want because the power gains are so fun.

Truc Trac said:
You didn't mention MPG.....Will I see an increase, decrease

or is this even an issue? Tks

I saw that after you posted, so I will edit my post. But, to answer you directly, you should see a gain of AT LEAST 2 mpg. I have seen as much as 4 mpg gained on prem fuel and NO hard driving.

The main component of mileage is the "part behind the wheel", the driver has the most effect on mileage.

Truc Trac said:
Wayne...

Will the xcal2 effect (correct) the throttle by wire (ramp in)

hesitation on my '07 V8?

and.....is PCM code GEP0 (GEPzero) xcal2 available?

Yessir and yessir. I have another 07 owner already ordered one with the GEP0 code.

Hi Wayne,

It sounds like you can get some significant mileage increases off the factory settings, in addition to all the other benefits. My question I guess is why? Wouldn't ford have tuned their motors to get the best mileage and power they possibly could have? It's one thing if you're looking at a 1970 vehicle, but the current vehicles have entire teams of engineers pouring over this exact thing, just to get it as high as possible. I can understand if they'd taken the 'best mileage' route and your settings promise more power at the expense of mileage, but your product perports to do both. Can you explain a little more how this occurs? Just trying to understand the benefits!

Wayne, I have heard that the stock tune on a flex fuel vehicle is optimized for gas. And that if it was optimized for E85, the gas milage would be only .02% less than what we are now getting with gas and the power would be much better. Are you ever planning to make a tune that is optimized for E85? I have seen the octane rating between 105 and 108 on E85. We have 4 stations in my area that sell it and I could easily burn just E85. If you had such a tune I could always swap it back to a gas tune if couldn't find E85, like if I was traveling.

Thanks,

Carl

An answer to Bob_S2's question. I'm guessing the factory tune is one that balances performance and economy; not optimized for either. When performance is optimized, economy suffers. When economy is optimized, performance is reduced to some degree. I'm an easy driver and rarely, if ever, drive in a performance mode. So, in order to get better economy, I don't care if wide-open performance is somewhat less than it is now. Others want better WOT response and don't care if it hurts economy. An optimized tune can do either, but i doubt do both at the same time. If I'm off the trac on this I'm sure Wayne will chime in and correct me.

That's what I'm thinking too, Bill. I love the idea of being able to control it all, so I can definitely see myself buying one in a year or so, once memory of the huge outlay of cash to buy the truck itself fades a little. I love the idea of having economy, power, and towing settings that you can flip between.

--Bob

Hey Wayne, I need to order one of these asap!! I've been reading about chips and performance tuning and this seems to be the way to go. I just got an intake and exhaust so now I'm looking for the next bolt on. I emailed you earlier this week, but I haven't heard back. Get ahold of me when you can and we'll go from there. Thanks man

Ben

With the Datalogger can we somehow log how our ST is running on certain tunes and have it modified more precicely for better performance?

What is the cost of the tunes after you have purchased the SCT device?

Latest posts