XCAL2 Mileage Tune

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Cotton

Reaction score
For you XCAL2 owner's who have the 87 octane mileage tune from Wayne Foy, may I ask what kind of highway mileage you are getting? Also, what mileage were you getting with the 87 octane performance tune, if you have used that also? Does the mileage increase from the 87 octane performance tune make it worthwhile? Thanks for your answers............

Gary

We have the 87 octane mileage tune from Wayne; before (i.e. OEM tune) we were getting around 18-19 mpg hwy., and with the 87 octane mileage tune w/ A.R.E. Cap we have recorded 28 mpg averaging 60 mph (on our way to Dallas last yr.) & 24 mpg averaging 75 w/ A/C on (on our way back from Louisville last June). Both of those mpg's were hwy driving. We average 18 mpg around town w/o A/C on. :D

edit: Forgot to mention that ous is a 5-speed manual tranny w/ a 3:73 gear ratio in the rear end.

Additional mods for better gas milage include:

AirRaid Cold Air Intake;

Royal Purple: 5w-30 engine oil, Syncromax tranny fluid, power steering fluid, Purple Ice radiator additive, & MaxGear in the differential;

SCT XCalibrator II (w/ programs for 87 octane & towing);

Trick Flow differential cover w/ Royal Purple MaxGear oil;

Flex-a-lite 180 Extreme electric fan;

Taylor Vortec spark plug wires & new OEM plugs;

ZabTech Throttle body

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are travelling at highway speeds it's worth it. I do most of my driving inside Las Vegas and rarely get to 60 mph. It didn't make a measurable difference city driving.

I saw a difference of 1 mpg between the 87 octane performance tune and the 87 octane economy tune on my trip to and from Louisville this year. The main difference between the tunes seemed to be how quickly the transmission would down-shift when going up hills with the cruise control on. The performance tune down-shifts sooner, which would account for slightly lower economy. I don't use the economy tune around town because the transmission upshifts way too quickly for city driving, and quite frankly, it's not much fun to drive. So, I leave the performance tune on all of the time.

Thanks for the info guys. I have 3 tunes in my Xcal2, an 87 octane performance tune, an 87 octane towing tune, and an 87 octane mileage tune. I actually get better mpg with the performance tune. I took a 462 mile highway trip and put in the mileage tune, and lost about 4 mpg here in Eastern MT, in a snow storm both ways. My modifications from stock are an Airaid CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, single exit, and Amsoil synthetic in engine, tranny, transfer case, and diffs. I have a 4x4 with 4.10 LS gearing and run LT235/85R16 tires, which are about 31.7 inch. Last summer, I usually got 20-21 mpg on highway with the performance tune, and just recently received the mileage tune from Wayne that I had originally asked for when I ordered the Xcal2. I ordered it with the above 3 tunes, and received it with only the 87 octane performance tune, along with a 93 octane performance tune. Had to keep bugging him for the tunes I had originally ordered, with my modifications taken into consideration, and finally got them via e-mail attachment. Like Todd C., I'll keep the performance tune in permanently, unless I'm towing my travel trailer.

Gary

Latest posts