You want how much?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
Called the nearby shop that sells Gabriel shocks. I wanted four Gabriel Ultra shocks for $32 each. They quoted me $230 to install them. That doesn't include the price of the shocks. Holy crap. So I bought the shocks and will have my buddy that's a mechanic install them for a crapload less than that.

It's easy to change out shocks, especially the fronts, the rear upper bolts can be a pain without a bodylift but still fairly easy, I've done mine five times already.

:banana:

At that cost for labor. I would hope they dont get much bussiness. That is rediculous.

We have a neighborhood shop that way. The only customers he has. Are those that dont know any better nor checks out other shops. Most are older folks. That have been going there. Since the original owner opened it. 40yrs ago. He was an honest mechanic.

The guy that owns it now is the nefhew of my nieghbor. Her and her son tells me that his cousin will rip you off. Sell you everything you dont need, before the real problem is fixed.

He has ripped off several older folks from my church.

Anytime the shop name comes up. I tell as many around about his dishonesty. IMO, it is the same as theft. I hate thiefs...:fire:

....and I thought $180 was to much so I installed them myself in about 3 hrs. If

I can do it at 78 anyone can.:grin:

They are pretty easy to change yourself if you have basic tool. I changed all four shocks on my '03 Adrenalin in just a couple of hours. Very straight forward- no problems.

If you are running the OEM shocks, prepare for an awesome difference after the change! :banana:

When I have my 2003 Sport Trac I got a quote from Sears to replace my old shocks with Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks which came in a little over $200 for 4 shocks and the installation. However, they did not have the right shocks in stock and it would take about 2 weeks to order them?

I then went by NTB and they had the shocks in stock and said they would meet or beat Sears price...and they did. They only charged me about $198 (just a few dollars less than Sears) and they did it while I waited. It took a little over an hour but was well worth the money, and it was a great improvement in the ride and handling of my Sport Trac.

...Rich

I hear ya! they wanted near $500 to swap over coilovers - it wasnt that hard in my garage - jack stands, a jack, a pry bar, and a spring compressor - I suppose if I didnt have air tools it would have been a pain - great investment to have

Around me most Shops that sell shocks and most that will install them. Charge a flat rate of $20 to $30 per shock for labor. Last year I ordered sensatracs for my mom's grand marquis.

Free delivery and Half the price of sears. Also one shock free.

Mom paid an independent $100 to install al 4.

Sears also wanted $40 per shock Labor. I wont deal with sears automotive, rip offs...

I bet the dealer would charge by the hour...and you would get the crappy oem's...@ list price.

Speaking of Monroe Sensatrac shocks...I forgot to mention that I got a rebate from Monroe for purchasing 4 shocks...I think it was about $10 per shock, but you had to buy all 4 shocks.

Shocks are simple enough to replace yourself, but it's so much easier if you have a lift and don't have to crawl under the truck. Also, they removed my spare tire to make it easier to get to the top of the rear shocks. They can get to them without removing the spare, but it's just was easier with the spare tire out of the way

...Rich

Latest posts