Yup, another transmission question...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Roland

Reaction score
At just over 78,000 miles, I had the tranny service done last week. The shop mgr calls me over to listen to a noise coming from the trans while engine is running, I have 50% hearing loss, so was difficult to hear it, but anyway, the mgr calls it a "growl/scraping noise from transmission before and after service". Keep in mind, I asked on here and @ the dealership about my reverse slamming into gear on several occasions.

Question... what does that sound like to yawl?

Mgr also suggested "dropping the pan to see if there is any metal shavings in the pan".

Thanks in advance!

Pappy, Unless you have a drain plug in your pan, they had to drop the pan to do the service. (Stated noise was there before and after service) .. Also, to replace the filter, they would have to drop the pan. I would think they would have looked for this during the service...

The service was a flush and replace trans fluid using the tranny cooler ports under the radiator (a sealed transmission) what the invoice states "the latest in state-of-the-art technology".

Does this sound like perhaps the tranny fluid pump is failing? Shop mgr was not sure and the tech who did the service just said "might wanna keep an eye on that"...

Sounds like they were trying to get more $$ out of you.....

IF the filter was never changed, i would do it, but maybe another shop gets the work..

Todd Z