Zabteck True Cold Air Intake vs Under Hood Intake

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George T

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Ok, so my birthday is coming up in about 3 weeks and I wanted to get an aftermarket intake for me and my ST (2004 4x4 Adrenalin). I want to buy from Zabteck because their prices seem decent and the so does the product. But I have a few questions I was wondering if anyone could answer, even maybe the Zabteck guys.

I am leaning toward more the True Cold Air Intake

1. I do some minor off-roading, sometimes, that may involve going into a puddle and I am concerned about water getting into the intake since it is in the fender and just covered by the fender well liner. Should I be worried about this?

P.S.: I saw Todd's video on their website...but still am a little bit concerned about water getting into the intake

2. I dont want to make any one mad or anything, but I just dont understand how the complete Under Hood Intake would be different from the stock intake. Wouldnt it still be taking in the hot air from the engine compartment or am I incorrect?

3. So is the True Cold Air Intake better or equally the same to the complete Under Hood Intake?

If you have bought and used/use one of these intakes, please let me know if you like them or not.

Thank you so much everyone,

George T.

The True Cold Air Intake is going to be taking in cooler air than if it was in the engine bay.

The true cold air is in the fender. Outside of the engine bay. Cooler air makes for a densor mixture.

You can buy a special bag to put on the filter. Lets the air in but repels water.

Fast Eddie,

Is denser mixture good or bad?

If I put a special bag over it, wouldn't it restrict the air flow or no?

Thanks again,

George T.

Oh I see, I know it is a controversial question, but supposedly I keep good driving habits and dont drive pedal to the metal....is there a chance that the True Cold Air Intake will give me better mpg?

Thanks again, George T.

Yeah, i understand that you have to ease your foot off of the gas pedal to get an improvement. I just hope that it will be worth it and that im not wasting money or making a mistake by getting the True Cold Air Intake

Thank you,

George T.

Im mainly concerned about the mpg. I wouldnt mind the extra power...but I dont want it to decrease the mpg. I would love if it raised my mpg a little bit.

"More power and MPG"....can that be in the same sentence?:lol: So if i just want MPG, dont buy it. But if I want more mpg and more power, then get it?

Better throttle respose or more power at take off, with less accelerator. Can lead to more MPG. I guess what I was saying For 1 to 2 mpg more only. Is the cost of the kit going to pay for itself. If you are also going to have times you like to put your foot in it, go for it.

I understand, that seems ideal for me.

By the way, is the whole whistling a big problem, like Dan posted?

Thanks so much,

George T.

Whistling, for me, only happens at about 2K RPMs. Not a deal breaker if you're going to get the CAI. I think it has something to do with small imperfections in the TB or intake manifold (might be wrong)

Josh,

Is it like an annoying whistle or a nice performance sort of whistle? So not a real big deal, right?

Thanks,

George T.

You tend to just tune it out after awhile. It's not that bad. I don't really notice it that much, unless I listen for it specifically. At one time, I put the ST in drive put the parking brake on (crossed my fingers), and pulled on the throttle cable (only whistles in drive, not neutral) and put my head near the whole intake ensemble. From what I remember, it sounded like it was coming from the filter, but who knows.

Edit- no, not a big deal

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts