01 Axle seal?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Burch

Reaction score
Hello all ST fans!!

My 2001 sport trac has developed a leak, it appears to be from the axle area, dripping down the axle toward the passenger side wheel. It seems to be Trans fluid, but My trans fluid is fine (level wise) Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what this could be (maybe axle seal) and where would that fluid come from, is it a different compartment than the transmission? Does it use tran fluid? I guess it could be gear oil, reddish with an odor to it. Any help is appreciated, if it is axle seal, any clue, (ballpark) as to what it will cost me to get fixed??

thanx in advance,

Dan

Sorry about that, How could I leave out that detail!!! Its the front axle, Passenger side and it is 4X4, I"m hoping it isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg to fix!!!

Let me know what y'all think

How many miles on this Trac? It's a 2WD, right? Assuming that it's the rear axle, what you're describing has to mean gear lube from the differential. If your leak is where the rear brake drum joins the axle, then it's the axle seal.

The differential holds about 2.5 qts of 75W-140 synthetic gear oil, and because Ford (like many other US car manufacturers) doesn't put drain plugs in their differentials, most owners ignore servicing this very important mechanism - even more critical if you tow a trailer. It's a messy, smelly job because you have to remove the cover to do it properly. Years ago I bought an aftermarket cover (Mag Hytech) for my '02 that made the fluid servicing a snap.

I would visit a couple of repair shops you trust and get estimates. I think you're looking at 4-5 hours of labor, plus parts. IMO, a decent shop is going to recommend doing both sides, because if the seal on one side has failed the opposite one is worn too, but not to the point of beginning to leak. It'd be a shame to fix one side and then have the seal on other side start passing that new fluid.

You can see the fluid types and quantities for your Trac by visiting my website and clicking through the Online Application Guide. Hope this helps.

Not 2wd, it is 4wd, and the problem is the front axle, I was thinkingh the transfer case or whatever kind of front differential there is. I don't even pretend to know a lot about it.

I'm guessing axle seal type thing, but not sure, that's why I was asking for help

Dan

Dan- Was referring to the previous post to avoid any misunderstanding. GL

Its actually not that bad of a job.... just requires removal of the axle.....

Took me less then an hour do do a friends..

Todd Z

Latest posts