01 ST, Noisy front end, back door won't open, etc!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIANNA HAILI

Reaction score
Aloha, I am wondering if anyone else is having the same problems as me? First my 01 Sport track back window won't open and I don't have any interior lights, but I do have dash lights.

Second: My back door passenger door won't open, it is like the lock is only coming up half way and won't allow it to be opened at all. Third, I have a very noisy front end, and it sounds like the right front wheel will be coming off, and it sounds so terrible when I hit a bump or drive to the right. I took it in and they say I need upper and lower ball Joints and Tie rod ends and a wheel alignment. ( I just got new tires, hoping that might help but it didn't...) Any suggestions on any of these problems would be great? Also is it hard to do the work yourself (my hubby knows a bit about mechanics, and changes our brakes etc...so I was wondering if upper and lower ball jnts and tie rod ends are something that could be done at home as opposed to 1,500 they want to charge me??) Mahalo for any help you can give, Lianna:)

Interior light: Check to make sure you do not have them turned off?? The little wheel that spins up and down to adjust the dash lights is also a master switch for the interior lights. If rotated all the way to the end it turns off the interior lights.

Noise: The ball joints are a fairly common issue on the Trac. I have owned two Tracs and have never had this issue. However, several have. In some cases, they have changed them out more than once. I would get a second opinion just to be on the safe side.

Back Door: Does it open at all? From your post it does not sound like it. If not, it makes it a bit harder to fix. You will have to get the inner door panel off and manipulate the door latch Assembly by hand from inside the door. Once you get that far, you will have to see what is defective. You may have the child protection set in the on position and have a defective connecting rod on the outside door handle for example.

Do you get the chime when you open the front door if the keys are left in the ignition? If so, the door switch is good. If not, it is defective and that would also NOT let your interior lights come on when you open the door..

Welcome aboard.

Thanks, I brought my truck to ford and they said that the door was broken and they got it open but had to order the part for the door to connect it to the lock. The ball joints definitly need replacing I found out last night as my husband and father hoisted it up and its really bad, so here comes a big bill! The interior light switch I have played with forever and nothing seems to do it. I have checked the fuse and hoped it was that, but no....I read in someones forum that they said when they changed the radio it affected the back window, but I don't think??? mine was changed, how can I find out. I just have radio and a CD player (one CD) in it no cassett. How do I find out what was original does anyone know? Thanks? And is it expensive to change the motor for the window? Thanks. Mahalo, Lianna::(

Latest posts