01 Trac can't get above 3 on the tach, cont'd

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey thanks so much for the replies. But...it has the same problem when driving. When driving at low speed, it runs fine but upon acceleration, it loses power and tries to "die" and gets worse as you drive. I called the Ford Dearlership and was told it sounded like the fuel filter, we replaced that as well as plugs and wires and nothing has helped. Any new suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Candi

They need to check your fuel pressure..... also is there a check engine light on ???

Todd Z

it could be fuel pressure.. it could be a computer problem,, the computer thinks its not in gear and the rev limiter is kicking in. you will probally have to take to a garage that can run system checks on a computer...

did the problem start after the plug and wire change??? if so,, bad wire,, bad plug... wires connected wrong??

troy

I am with Todd, get the fuel pressure checked. Make sure they do the test when the engine has been running for a while as the fuel pump needs to be hot and up to temperature when tested as that is when the problem normally shows up.

Possibly apples and oranges since it has a totally different engine, but we just had the same problem with my wife's Taurus this week (I also replaced the fuel filter first) and it turned out to be the camshaft position sensor.

i remember way back when something like this happened to my trac at around 85k. It wouldnt go above 3000rpms and it turned out to be a clogged tranny filter... we replaced the tranny filter and fluid and no probs at all!

good luck

andy