05 Gauge LED light flickering issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombstones81

Reaction score
Had the "Typical Repairs" done to my 05 STs gauges.
Opted to have them install LED bulbs in them as a couple bulbs were burnt out.

Couple of months later, they started flickering & slowly got worse.

Now ALL of the bulbs are off more times then on or flickering.
Basically indication a short or bad connection somewhere.

Did not happen with the stock bulbs in there before.

I am thinking its possibly incorrect LED bulbs installed in the gauges & they are not making proper connection.
Will get around to testing stock bulbs when I get some.

Is there anywhere else I should check tho?

Already jiggled & inspected the wires at the headlight switch with zero indication of that being the problem.

& what are the stock gauge bulbs &/or the Proper LED bulbs?

thank you

Made the same mistake a few years back, tried to be "nouveaux"
& replaced the cluster Bulbs with LEDs; big mistake!
The LEDs I tried were "oriented\polarized" so it was a pain to get them all first working,
several glowed dimly when they should have been completely off & thus were a no go,
then in less than a few months most of the LEDs were flickering or totally out.
I concluded that traditional incandescent bulbs were the more reliable longer lasting option.
Your 2005 ExST instrument cluster is a later\different version than my 2001 ExST,
but here's the bulbs needed for mine:
~ 16each 12v11wBulbs T5mmWedge*18mmLong: Sylvania#906\912
Do NOT Use 18w Sylvania#921, they burn too hot & melt plastic
~ 8each 12v3wBulbs 8ea T10mmWedge*23mmLong: Sylvania#161\194
Do NOT Use 5w Sylvania#168\2825, they burn too hot & melt plastic

While I last had the cluster removed,
I thoroughly cleaned the flexible circuit board with alcohol & cottons swabs,
tightened each bulb socket & harness connection pin with a jewelers screw driver,
& squirted a little silicon lube into the speedo\odometer mechanism to keep it quiet.
Also blew the dust out of the dash & wrapped\reinforced harnesses that were within reach, while it was open.
Tedious dull work, but it definitely helped.

More info at
http://2001fordexplorersporttrac.fandom.com/Electrical_DashLamps

Last edited:
Thank you sir~!!!!

& for the suggestion on cleaning the gauges etc.
Luckily I just had them fully serviced & repaired a few months ago.

Also for the indirect reminder.
Purchased another 05 cluster but the @$$holes sent me an earlier one I could not use.
Just remembered I still have it in the cupboard.
So I check those bulbs first, just to possibly save a few bucks (Xmas time)
& I've taken the gauges out so many times troubleshooting them prior to professionally repaired, i can do it with my eyes closed.

thanks again

Can likely resale that spare cluster on ebay;
just get the FordMotorCraft XXXX-XXXXX-XX part numbers off of it & take a couple of pics.
Check bulbs with an OhmMeter before installing them, to make sure no broken burned out filaments.
Ones with higher ohms burn cooler.

No warranty on them? Call their ass and make them fix !!

Its only a few bulbs, no big deal.
I am sure they would if I contacted them.
But then I would have to ship it to them & its the only legal vehicle we have atm, until I finish my car for inspection.

I'm used to actual problems, so a few bulbs I can do myself is perfectly fine.
Unless the normal NON leds flicker.... then it will be sent back~!

I bought Sylvania 906's & 194's
& the box said "Miniature" ???!!!!!!!!!!

WAYYYYYYY too big!

I looked up the 05 ones & found the same info you posted.

These are what I got & were NOT the correct ones for my 05 cluster bulbs & were not the correct ones for the 01/02/or 03 gauges I had laying around. (not sure what the extra gauges are as they were Supposed to be 05....)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJEZEL6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J2JEE2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Its fine, it happens... always does! haha
Too late to care if they were not even the correct ones suggested.

Luckily, as I said... I had the extra set of gauges.
Used the bulbs out of there, they fit, & work.

Pretty pi$$ed at the cost to have the LEDs put in when I had the gauges repaired.
The only bulbs replaced with LEDs were the gauges (needles) & not the indicator bulbs.
& there was only 5 of them!
If they replaced the other bulbs as well, then the cost is fine.
If not, I paid I Think it was an extra $30 for probably less then $1 in LED bulbs.......

Miniature is a relative term wthout definition & can't be trusted;
like VeryHighFreq\VHF versus UltraHighFreq\UHF; what does that mean?
That bulk pack of 10 bulbs was likely labeled\shipped in error.
906 Standard \ LongLife \ LEDs, are supposed to fit T5mmWideWedgeSockets.
194 Standard \ LongLife \ LEDs, are supposed to fit T10mmWideWedgeSockets.
Typical Sylvania charts don't list InstrumentCluster bulbs; likely too much trouble to confirm fit.
Sympathize with your frustration; likely typical of every first time ClusterFixer.

First for 4 wheels yeah, not for 2 :) (clusters)

No frustration really, this kinda sh!t is common for me. hahaha
Its stupid because I actually double checked your post & found the same info on cluster bulbs for my 05!

Good reminder tho.
Forgot to check them at night to double check they are working 100% and not flickering, until your reply.

Not the brightest compared to the LEDs, but it sure beats no needle lights at all 90% of the time!

142139740-10223549683951412-1263400802474564930-o.jpg

Made the same mistake a few years back, tried to be "nouveaux"
& replaced the cluster Bulbs with LEDs; big mistake!
The LEDs I tried were "oriented\polarized" so it was a pain to get them all first working,
several glowed dimly when they should have been completely off & thus were a no go,
then in less than a few months most of the LEDs were flickering or totally out.
I concluded that traditional incandescent bulbs were the more reliable longer lasting option.
Your 2005 ExST instrument cluster is a later\different version than my 2001 ExST,
but here's the bulbs needed for mine:

While I last had the cluster removed,
I thoroughly cleaned the flexible circuit board with alcohol & cottons swabs,
tightened each bulb socket & harness connection pin with a jewelers screw driver,
& squirted a little silicon lube into the speedo\odometer mechanism to keep it quiet.
Also blew the dust out of the dash & wrapped\reinforced harnesses that were within reach, while it was open.
Tedious dull work, but it definitely helped.

More info at
http://2001fordexplorersporttrac.fandom.com/Electrical_DashLamps

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I’m about to do my instrument panel bulbs when I put in my new stereo head unit, since I’ll be all up in that area and my panel is pretty dim these days.

Been reading and it’s hard to find any decent info on how many bulbs are needed and the the type.

@DILLARD000 you actually needed 18 and 6 of those bulbs for the instrument panel itself or am I misreading something? I have the 2001 ST as well so ours should be the same. Just seems like so many.

Was also gonna go the LED route as it’s much cheaper but now I’m scared lol

8ea of the larger T10s for the back lamps, 18ea of the smaller T5s for the duty lamps. This is total for all the lamps in the dash, InstrumentCluster + CenterPanel, considering youve got to remove both to get to the cluster lamps. Not saying the right LEDs wont work, just there is so many bad LED products on the market, I dont trust any of them, so for hard to change & critical lamps I prefer IncaBulbs.

8ea of the larger T10s for the back lamps, 18ea of the smaller T5s for the duty lamps. This is total for all the lamps in the dash, InstrumentCluster + CenterPanel, considering youve got to remove both to get to the cluster lamps. Not saying the right LEDs wont work, just there is so many bad LED products on the market, I dont trust any of them, so for hard to change & critical lamps I prefer IncaBulbs.

Ok thanks! Yeah so many LEDs say they are the right number but then have small print saying they are T3 and not actually T5 or something like that.

I kinda wanted to make the instrument cluster light up with blue but then I’d be narrowing down my choices even more. Plus the blue meshing with the green of the panel might turn things a bit weird if the blue wasn’t bright enough.

Also thought I’d throw this link up I found of a guy who does a great job showing everything that will work with Gen 1 STs for taking the cluster apart and changing the bulbs.

@Kale D
For the benefit of others, do keep this thread updated with
* specific Bulbs\LEDs used (vendor\make\model)
* results initially after install
* results 2~3mth after install

@Kale D
For the benefit of others, do keep this thread updated with
* specific Bulbs\LEDs used (vendor\make\model)
* results initially after install
* results 2~3mth after install
Yep I can reply here and/or start a new thread.

Got the bulbs ordered, LEDs and Incandescent. If something doesn’t work in the ST I’ll either return or find a use in our RV or other vehicle.

Since I don’t have a garage I might wait till it gets a bit warmer but will see.

Almost every Explorer gauge cluster LED bulb conversion I've read had "issues" to some extent. Whether it be LED's inability to dim 100%, light dispersion, or most importantly early failure. Flicker, subject of this thread could be the most annoying. LED gauge cluster lamps are not worth it for the marginal benefits IMO. I believe most original stock Gen 1 incandescent gauge cluster lamps are still working today. If replacements are needed, 194LL incandescent bulbs FTW.

I do like LED conversions for certain applications. I've replaced interior roof and license plate lamps with Sylvania Zevo 168 or 194 LED's with great results. I don't think I'll change any of the lamps inside the head and tail light housings though.

EiBq3hY.jpg

Sylvania Zevo 194 LED (6000K) vs. stock incandescent #906 dome lamp

@swshawaii
Yep, same conclusion here.
Really hard to beat simplicity+longevity+price of traditional IncaBulbs compared to LEDs.
LEDs can be a good upgrade in a few specific places on these 10~20yo+ vehicles,
but definitely not for use everywhere, despite manufactures\vendors claims otherwise.
Biggest problem is all the junk LEDs with bad\cheap electronics that are being made+sold,
& need to try several different vendors+types before finding something that works reliably.

Yeah definitely on my mind if these ones I bought will work in the long run. I mean I know there are LEDs out there that people have had success with, just seems like a lot of them don’t post details of the bulb brand and they never reply back to it.

I’ll give them a go. The ones I bought for the cluster were “better“ ones. I also bought incandescent as a backup plan since the project isn’t too hard. I have the bulbs now, just need to find time and weather to do it.

I hope they do work, as I’m toying off n idea to refresh my interior by brightening up some bulb areas, painting interior trim and installing a new screen unit for my car audio. ST is getting old and needs some love again lol

Found the time to do it the other day. That Youtube I linked above makes it very easy to do. No issues, changed out only the 6 194 bulbs in the cluster and it made a huge difference. So much nicer! Also did my temp controls.

The cluster photo doesn’t do it justice, no hotspots or weird, areas, looks really good overall and not too bright. It does dim but it doesn’t like it but honestly I never use the dimmer ever so it won’t be an issue. No flickering.

Guess I’ll see what the longevity is but I’m happy. I’ll do the rest of the interior now too. Noticed those hot incandescent bulbs have really worn out the areas they sit in from the heat, the LED should give it a bit of relief.

These were the bulbs
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0186P1MUW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

Attachments

• FCB3238C-8B92-4A40-8E76-27818D2C7418.jpeg
    FCB3238C-8B92-4A40-8E76-27818D2C7418.jpeg
    974.4 KB · Views: 0
  • C176B3F6-0078-471F-8FEA-BDDF411BE96B.jpeg
    C176B3F6-0078-471F-8FEA-BDDF411BE96B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts