07' 4.0 2WD Front end driver side squeaking/noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Aloha Folks- So, in the recent past I have had all 4 shocks replaced, the front upper control arms and front hubs placed. A new squeaking just started on my driver side and the steering is a little harder. My steering pump and fluid are fine. What are the possible parts that could be going on this left side of the vehicle making this noise: lower control arm, tie rod ends? Any help much appreciated. Thank you very much. Mahalo!

Sounds like the lower ball joints are now needed...

Aloha Todd, mahalo to you! We were hit with a heat wave, over 100F. They really were making noise. Then it cooled off a bit and no noise. But today, they started making some noise again. How many Lower Ball Joints are there per side? These are different then Tie Rod ends and Lower Control Arms, correct? I have a 167K on my vehicle. So, I mine as well replace both sides of these Lower Ball Joints. Anything else that should be replaced at the same time these are done? Thank you again. Mahalo!

Aloha Folks, I forgot to ask but have read good reviews of both the Mevotech TTX TXK8695T ball joints as well as the Moog K80771 ones. The Ford lasted this long but am curious about these ones as I have read they are made for heavy duty and designed/engineered well. Any feedback much appreciated. Mahalo!

Aloha Folks, just a quick update. I purchased both the above lower ball joints. I noticed one said made in the USA the other overseas. So, I picked the Moog USA though I have to say the Mevotech looks good and the packaging was very good compared to the Moog. But I know it is about the part and quality. Mahalo!

Aloha folks, want to thank Todd. Sure enough, it was the lower ball joints. I went with the Moog USA made ones, nice that they have zerk fittings on them. My original driver side one was completely gone/shot. Replaced both and the front is nice and quiet, steering is great. Mahalo!