'07 6 speed auto tranny shifting

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Cox

Reaction score
On cold days when my ST is first driven, it takes about 4 or 5 miles before the tranny will go into overdrive in my '07 4.6 Limited with 4 wheel drive. Is anyone else out there having the same thing happening to them? Does this tranny need to warm up before going into OD or is it just helping the ST warm up quicker? This does not happen in the summer months.

No problems with going into OD on cold days -- but I live in Calif. (Bay Area), if you call this cold!

Last edited by a moderator:
No prob's here either, but our cold days have only been in the teens. Maybe you need a TSB flash done to your tranny. I would for sure take it in to the dealer and have it checked out.

Thanks everybody. Did not know if it was a problem or not. Still not definite with some of the answers. But now I know that maybe I do need to call the dealer about it. According to Rav I am OK and according to desertfox I am not. Anybody else able to help?

My 08 has stayed in OD and we have had a few mornings in the single digits with days in the low teens. I would not think 4wd would act differently than 2wd.

My suggestion would be to take it to the dealer and explain your concerns about the transmissions shifting characteristics. Reference TSB 07-23-2 which addresses concerns with the transmissions shifting characteristics and ask them to install the latest PCM and TCM software updates. The TSB details are posted in my library.

I had a very slight issue with the 2/3 shift when I first got my ST. I suppose it was still going thru the training ordeal when I first bought it. I'd say after I put about 600 miles on it, the symptoms went away and I've not had any other probs with my tranny since then.

I don't know if the 4x4 models have any different issues than the 4x2's.....mine is the 4x2 4.6L V8 Limited. So far, my OD hasn't given me any issues.

I am going to the dealer for the latest TSB on Thurs. I am still having more trans 2-1 shifting stuff that I am willing to tolerate. This will be about the 8th time I have taken it in.

Steve

My '07 V8 transmission works a whole lot better than the auto tranny on my previous '03 Adrenalin. The '03 used to sit in drive for a few seconds when cold and then slam hard into gear-- it would leave me stranded in the middle of the road for a bit after I backed out of the driveway in cold weather.

I can honestly say that I have not had any trouble with the '07 six-speed, and this includes highspeed highway, off road, trailer towing, and around town driving in 100+ to 0 degree temps.

No problems with my 08 6-speed. Have driven in cold temps and never noticed it not going to OD (6th). No other issues. I have noticed that if I turn the OD off I have not had it go above 4th. Even tried a few times on a small straight near the house. Stayed in 4th. Definitely sportier that way.

Mike, take it to the dealer and reference TSB 07-23-2 (details in my library) which has resolved many of the forum members 07 tranny shifting issues.

Latest posts