07 AC Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E B

Reaction score
My AC will only work on the high fan setting now. The temp control seems to work fine and will adjust for whatever temp I want but when I reduce the fan to anything less than high speed it completely shuts off. Has anyone else experienced this problem. Also, since new it has never seemed to get as cold as I think that it should. Thanks.

07 - should still be under warranty, take it in and let Ford figure it out.

When I bought my ST back in the fall I gave my 94 Ranger to my dad and right after I gave it to him, this very thing happened on the Ranger. Apparently, it was some sort of resister that got fried and it is designed to work the way you stated. When the part goes out it still works on high, which is designed that way so the owner still has heat or air. My dad said that it was a small inexpensive part and everything worked fine once he replaced it.

I never really used the heat on the Ranger much, since I live in the South and well,my dad lives in the midwest, so he was using the heat quite a bit, which led to the part ultimately biting the dust!

I would assume the ST works the same as the Ranger???/

Called the dealer and bringing it in tomorrow. They said it will take all day. Hopefully they can get it colder for me to. I leave it on full blast and max ac and it will never get so cold that I have to turn it down...in 80 degree outside temp. Thanks for the help guys!!

I had to replace that resistor like thing on my dad's 84 F-150 back in the day. But like everyone is suggesting, let Ford take care of it.

Dropped it off at the dealer the night before. The next day I called them around 12:00 noon. They said "So-And So" had it and they would call me when it was done. I waited until 5:30 and called them again. This time they said "So-and-So" is just now looking at it and it will have to stay over night and that most likley, due to a parts issue, I will have to bring it back later. They did not yet have an answer to my problem. Hopefully I will get something tomorrow. I leave to go to work for a month on Monday so if there is a "parts issue" I guess it will have to wait.

The part that is most likely at fault is the blower motor resistor(not thermistor). This supplies a variable ground to the blower motor to make it run at different speeds. When it goes bad the only circuit that is usually left is the one for high blower because it typically bypasses the whole resistor. On something this new though I wouldn't expect it to go bad so quickly, they may need to look for an underlying problem such as a blower motor that may be drawing excessive current and causing the resistor to prematurely burn out.

I just recieved a call from the service department. They said that it was the blower motor speed control that was the problem. Would this be the same thing or a different problem in your opinions? It is on order and thus I will have to bring the truck in later. I wonder if, since it's still at the dealer as I type, if I should ask them to look into the resistor or excessive current as l1tech states.

They are two different things, but,,, have the same end result.

They both are part of the same circuit.

If it is not the control, then I am going with the resister..

Ok...thanks guys. Unfortunately I will be offshore at work for a month so it will have to wait until then. If the speed control doesn't do the trick then I can steer them in the direction of the resistor. Love this site and thanks for everyones input here. I'll let you know what it was when I get it fixed!

Not the switch itself but the blower motor speed control. I am waiting on them to have the part delivered. I have the dual zone climate control if that makes any difference. Hopefully this will fix it. I also asked him about it not getting cold enough. He said it blew a steady 42 degs. I know that I can put it on max a/c and leave it there without my girlfriend complaining. That is the best test I know. Any other newer vehicle and it will freeze you out. I think it should be colder...but maybe thats just the way these vehicles are. I hope it's not too bad when it gets into the upper 90's soon.

We'll see how good the Ford techs' are at diagnosing the 'correct' problem, my bet is that the resistor is bad. Let us know what part they have on the work order when you eventually get it fixed. Be safe out there on your offshore job.

Hmmmm,

could be one in the same item.

The switch is nothing more than a device to chose which path the electricity travels. The resister is what actually limits the various blower RPM speeds.

Thus, it sounds like we are all talking about the same thing...

Latest posts