'07 Change oil light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Mc

Reaction score
Question. Is oil suppose to be changed sooner than 3000 miles on a new engine? The reason why I ask is because at about 1400 my change oil soon light came on. Then at 1600 it said change oil now. I called the dealership and they said to just reset the computer. I found this odd, but wasn't sure. Wanted to get your opinions.

Thanks!

You would probably be alright just resetting the computer, but if it was me, I'd change it, reset the oil reading and see if it does it again. Being that it is in it's break-in period. That's just me though.:D;)

Its probably been sitting on the lot for 6 months or more and thus the reason for the light coming on.

When I bought my 07, I drove test drove several that had the light on in them.....they had been in inventory for awhile.

i always change my oil at 1,000 miles on a new vehicle. after that every 3,000 miles. then at about 8,000 - 10,000 i switch over to synthetic oil.

if the vehicle has been sitting at the dealer lot for over 3 months , i would change the oil no later than 1,000 miles if not sooner.

MattM...I had the same issue last week. I took it to the dealership last week and they said the factory setting was set to 1500 for some reason. They reset it to the normal 3000 miles and she's all better. Take her in, it should only take 5 minutes. :)

bootsy, was the initial setting for 1500 ? the reason why i ask is because i drove over 3,000 miles on a trip to florida and back and the change oil light never came on. at the end of our trip the oil life was at 36%. just curious and how accurate are these readings ?

My '07 was set at 5,000 miles when I got it. Took it in for a service at 3,000 miles. The dealer put a sticker on the windshield to change the oil at 6,000 miles but did not change the computer from 5K to 3K. I reset the computer myself. It is very easy, the owners manual tells you how to do it. The odd thing is that you set it in percentages, not miles. 100% is 5,000 miles, 80% is 4,000 miles, 60% is 3,000 miles etc.

Mine was the same as Mark G.s. It was set for 5000 miles. I had already changed the oil at 3000, and so I had to reset my reading to 60%, as he said, so that it will remind me every 3000,,,,,,problem is that I didn't even know when I changed it that there was a read-out for the oil, so, will have to reset again on the next change,,,,,,,in about 100 miles!!?

Mine came on at around 2000 miles? The oil monitoring system has never been a problem on my 98 GP/GT or my 2003 Monte Carlo SS. I hope to eventually get used to the FORD systems. I do enjoy driving the ST though!

Gary
:D

MattM...I had the same issue last week. I took it to the dealership last week and they said the factory setting was set to 1500 for some reason. They reset it to the normal 3000 miles and she's all better. Take her in, it should only take 5 minutes

--------------------------------

Thats a line of BS.

Read the owners manual. Mine has two settings.

100% is 5000 miles / 6 months OR 80% is 3000 miles / 4 months. You set it to one of them depending on which mileage / time interval you want to change your oil at.

Yours, like most 07's was more than likely at 100% (factory default) and had been sitting in Louisville and then the dealer lot for several months.....thus the light came on.

I'm with Guru on this one. I have approximately 4,300 miles on the Trac and my oil life reading is @ 13%. There should have been a separate maintenance/service guide that was in your owner's packet. 5,000 miles is now the "normal" interval for oil changes due to the syth-blend oil being used.

GuruGuy why are you saying what I said is BS? That is exactly what happened to me LAST week! Pardon my mistype, I ment to type 5,000 miles for where the dealership set it when I took it in....dang.

Thanks for the replies guys. I took it to the dealer just incase, and as you said they cleared it on the computer. I'll probably just go ahead and use their free oil change soon, and then change it again at about 6k miles.

And I bought my ST in Norfolk, VA.

Mine came from Oregon Ohio. Relatively close. I knew it wouldn't take long, just because it was the exact same thing I had to do last week. ;)

Are you guys saying that you can determine which of 2 mileage intervals you want your truck to follow? I just had my FREE oil change yesterday and mine was factory set at 5K miles which is fine for a Synthetic blend. I hope they did not set my gauge to the 3K mile interval which i'm sure they probably did......:angry: I don't have my manual here at work but i'll check the setting when I get home. In my opinion 5K miles should be fine if you are runing a syn blend, unless you operate under harsh conditions.

GuruGuy why are you saying what I said is BS? That is exactly what happened to me LAST week! Pardon my mistype, I ment to type 5,000 miles for where the dealership set it when I took it in....dang.

MattM...I had the same issue last week. I took it to the dealership last week and they said the factory setting was set to 1500 for some reason. They reset it to the normal 3000 miles and she's all better. Take her in, it should only take 5 minutes

Not you necessariy as much as the dealer giving you the line of BS. There is no "1500" setting. It's either 100% which equates to 5000 miles or 80% which equates to 3000 miles. 6 months or 4 months respectively also.

Ahhh, gotchya. Well they "reset" it and it has been good since. It made since to me though since I only had 1400 miles total on the ST when the light went on.

You can reset it yourself. Just cycle through the information center using the "Info" button on the dash. When you get to Oil Life, you can press the "Reset" button to reset the oil life back to 100%.

Latest posts