'07 In-Bed Storage Compartments

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Bater

Reaction score
The in-bed compartments in the new '07 are not listed as water-proof. Is there someway to install seals to change this? I would like to store some items in them especially since the cover and tailgate will be locked but moisture will cause rust and mildew.:unsure:

BTW, on my '03 I installed the power liftgate lock from JC Whitney and it works great. Plan on doing this also for the '07 when it comes in. That way I know the bed is always locked.

Thanks,

Jeff

My impression is that they are waterproof. Looking at the design, they sure look waterproof to me. I think the note about not being waterproof is merely a CYA note for the lawyers. One way to find out, take a hose out and give them a test.

The front storage compartment (largest) has a vent inside the compartment which vents to under the vehicle. It is designed to vent out, not in, but there's potential to get moisture in there. I also think that the seal on the front compartment is designed poorly for water proofing and there is actually a warning on it so you know it's not water proof.

However, the two compartments in the back/sides seal very tightly! I haven't gotten any water in there and keep some detailing supplies and cloths in there. I think these actually do seal water tight. With a tonneau cover, I'd say it's highly unlikely that water will get in these rear compartments. I didn't notice any warning like the front compartment.

They've done rigorous tests on the sealing design as a result of prototype builds - they're meant to be REALLY tight. :cool: