'07 LTD transmission "kicking" upon stopping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Collin Lyon

Reaction score
I was having hesitation when taking off from a stop, so I had the dealer do that reprogram (TSB) on the trans. about 3 weeks ago. Since then, not one problem taking off from stop (cold or warm engine). Since the reprogram, upon stopping from say 30+mph (regular braking), I get this kicking feel right about when it stops. I called the dealer confirming that the trans. "learns" the driving/shifting habits. Dealer said it will correct itself over time. Although not as bad, it still 'kicks' enough to notice -- even passengers notice. I've probably put 500+ miles in the past 3 weeks. Was giving it until April to correct itself, else have the dealer look at it again. Opinons -- think it will take longer? Seeing other posts, would disconnecting the battery help, or will I lose the reprogram? Just in case -- 2007 4x4 LTD V8 . . .

Lyonpride:

I have an '07 V8 4X4 XLT ST and I too had weird shift patterns when I first bought it. It was new but had 97 miles on it. I was very frustrated but somewhere between 2000 and 2500 miles the shifts got better. I'm still monitoring it but it appears to be shifting acceptably for me at least for the time being.

I don't know about disconnecting the battery. Wouldn't that start the "learning process" all over again? This tranny is not my favorite part of this new truck so far.

Good luck,

Gary
:D

Thanks for your input Gary -- I'll leave the battery alone, and wait to see if the Trac gets "more-smarter" . . .

Just saw your post Steve -- given the either/or I'd take the slight kick, than dying on take-off.

Last edited by a moderator:
LyonPride,

I have been having the same problem with my 07 V8 LTD , I have had it to the dealer 3 times in the last month, they turnt the rotors on the front brakes the first time it was there, claiming that was the problem, NOT, the second time they reset the TSB, which made it worse. This last time they replaced the value body on the transmission, so far it has done fine, I am just hoping this works, because it is aggervating and annoying to me, as far as when you are slowing down, it feels like you are being rear ended by another vehicle... and I feel for as much as I paid for this truck, it should not be doing that, and (it has often made me wonder

what type of damage it is doing to the transmission)...Hope your ST gets better.....

You know, now that you mention it, I think this is happening to my truck too. When I let off the gas, I get a "kick" and it does feel like someone behind me is tapping me with their car. That is pretty much the only time I have noticed this, when I let off the gas. Does this sound the same? Is there something wrong with my truck? I just thought it was a truck thing, since I have never had a truck before. Hmmmm...

GatorGirl - I'll keep that in mind if this keeps happening (you meant 'valve' body, right?). You are right about this shouldn't be happening in the first place. Especially while it is under warranty, I'll be bugging these guys if it doesn't go away by April.

Bootsy - That is exactly how it feels, getting tapped from behind. For the past week, there are times when it doesn't kick/tap at all. Maybe it is starting to "learn". I had an '02 Hyundai Sonata with a similiar "learning" trans. Don't remember it taking this long, though.

I haven't put as much miles on the ST as I thought since the reprogram -- just a little over 400 miles, with 90% city driving.

Thanks again for your comments . . .

Believe me....It will not correct itself. Mine was doing the same thing, just got it back for the second time. First time they reset computer and shifting sequence, second time they worked on or replaced valve body and said debri was in the lines?!? I love the truck, but sure hope it doesn't start the kicking again. Check the message board. Alot of complaints about this.

I had the TSB done too. After about a week later it started kicking when coming to a stop. I don't think ford knows what to do about it at this point. It's been about a month since I had the TSB done. I'm still hoping this trans will learn to shift properly. Well atleast it doesn't get lost shifting up :angry:from a stop anymore.

You know, now that you mention it, this is happening to my truck too. I currently have 14400 miles on my 07 V8 4x4. I had the TSB done almost 4 months ago.

Mine quit kicking after the TSB flash back in June. Then, it came back when the weather got colder. Now that it's warming up, the tranny is becoming less stiff with shifts, so I don't feel it kicking any more.

I leased a V8 LTD last July, and didn't really start noticing this happening until approx 2000 miles into it. Since then, it's gotten progressively worse. I've taken it to the dealer twice. The first time, they said they applied the TSB, but it didn't feel like a thing had been done. The second time, they said they applied it again, and this time, it shifted like butter all the way home, and all the way to work again the next morning. However, on the way home, it started kicking again. I'm taking it in yet again in the morning.

I love the look and the features and functionality, but with the tranny acting like this, it drives like sh*t. This is my first and will be my last Ford.

I have an 07 ST, and it's been to the Dealer twice with the same problem. I only have 1000 miles. On a slow rolling stop it downshifts into first with a bang and a surge. Feels just like the VW behind me hit my bumper and it surges forward. Same old BS from the Dealer.........checked the computer and re-ran codes. Claim it should "learn" over time and get better. This is not something that should be happening! Ford is not fessing up to the problem, and in my opinion is blowing us off. Has anyone talked to Ford directly? If you are in stop and go traffic the problem is VERY annoying! I understand first gear in the 07s is very low, which makes the problem worse, but this is unacceptable performance by any reasonable standard. I am going to step up my efforts direct with Ford as my Dealer has not been of any help so far.

Brad B

I am going to step up my efforts direct with Ford as my Dealer has not been of any help so far.

Good luck with that, I personally found Ford even less helpful then the dealership. Hopefully you have better results, keep us posted.

UPDATE: I took mine in again early April, and they replaced the megatronix box. It did the same thing as before. I thought it finally fixed it, until a few days later, I noticed a slight hint of it returning. Since then, it's steadily gotten worse. I'm ready to give up and just rag it out for the next year. God, I'm so glad I didn't buy this thing!