07 Owners, thoughts

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P M

Reaction score
For those who have owned an '07 ST for awhile, what are your impressions? Any problems so far? Would you buy again? Also, what kind of MPG are you seeing? Looking at V8 primarily, but interested in V6 too. Just looking for general thoughts on utility, reliability, design, etc. Never know when I might be shopping for a new car and it's nice to have first hand information. Thanks. :cool:

Well I have had my '07 V8 since February-ish. All around I love my ST. The 1 & ONLY thing I do not like, and would probably make me not buy again, is the gas mileage. I have averaged a whole 10mpg steadily since I have gotten her. At one time I had a 2003 Yukon V8 with a 6 inch lift that got better gas mileage then my ST, but other then that she is a gem.

Mileage is same between V6 and V8, so you might as well get the V8 and have the sweet V8 sound.

Don't buy a Trac for gas mileage unless you currently drive a 4WD Suburban or Navigator...

Do not like it mine has had many problems; engine is noisy transmission shifts like crap. Mileage isn’t that bad (V-8). Mine vibrates and the brakes are poor. May have liked it better if dealer was not an idiot. Will not buy Ford again. If you want A Sport Trac get a 2005.

My 07 ST is just over a year old and I like it. The ST is the perfect vehicle for me and my family since we don't need a full size truck. Nice to have the full 4 doors and the tonneau cover as well. I have the V-8 and I can get ~20 on the highway with the modified throttle body that increases HP and gas mileage as long as you don't use the additional HP aggresively. No major problems so far with 10K miles. The only thing I would not purchase again would be the factory Chrome Package. It's not bad but I could have done larger aftermarket chrome wheels for the same cost with better Quality.

Love my 07 V6 ST, close to 10K. Had it since April and no problem. Putting 300 miles a day for the last month and have averaged 20 to 21 miles per gallon on backroads and interstate at 80MPH. Hit the brakes hard at 80 to avoid an accident and stopped straight as an arrow. Vehicle behind me could not stop and had to run off the road to avoid me. Pulls the 19 foot boat with no problem. The only thing I did wrong was put on Todd and Pauls LED Brake light. Now I am in love with the way the LED's look and had to buy a bunch of bulbs. A little too much chrome, but I have taked care of that.

Even though I have had some issues with my V8 LTD 4x4 (previously posted, and 99.9% done), I have enjoyed mine. My main issue was how issues were handled with Ford & the dealer. Took longer than I liked, but eventually was handled.

One mpg diff between V6 & V8 -- certainly not a Prius. Have been getting 13-14 in town, and 20-22 on the highway (feather-foot driving). With my 4 older kids more out on their own, it's just my wife, my 2 younger boys, and I (previously had a 2000 Excursion). Yet, I can still haul stuff around. Also will be getting the Trac set-up as a tow vehicle behind my RV.

I would buy the Trac again, PRM. Go for it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had mine since April '06. 34000 + miles - mostly city driving.

No problems at all.

16.72 MPG - 26.32 MPH avg. since owning my ST.

I have the XCal2 (tuned by Torrie) and Todd's TB.

Since the TB: 17.89 MPG - 28.23 MPH avg.

Terry

i have had mine (V-8 lmtd) since jan 07 and it has just shy of 20K on the odo.

i think it is a great improvement over the gen 1 tracs.

the ride and handling is great, i think the build quality is pretty good for a domestic and the

v-8 has ample power. is it worth the 39K sticker price, NO way !

i looked at the tundra and other's but the trac gave me the most for my job's budget.

leather, nav, rear dvd, and other goodies.

other than the TSB , no issues so far at 20K miles

gas mileage combined 14MPG ( i have a real heavy foot ) and one other complaint as lil red mentioned, the chrome appearance package is a waste of money.

good luck

New V8 owner, just 400 miles, have some brake pumping I have to work out, but overall I am impressed. Power good. Mileage first tank varies from 12 to 21 based on vehicle odometer based meter, local or highway driving, not bad for the weight and profile of vehicle.

Will consider aftermaket addons to improve MPG and power. Your decision, good luck.

Bob

07' V8 4x4 Ltd., owned since June, 06', 7500 miles. New commute lately so now driving 70 miles per day. Comfortable interstate driving, mountain road driving really good, mpg okay, power/response okay. Boat towing great, quiet interior, would like integral rear view camera (rear visibility in reverse is poor), have factory tonneau cover (I added electric tailgate lock) and is really convienent along with bed cage/extender. Power moon roof is nice, not used much (it's been too hot), no rear power window, no mp3 aux input jack. No chrome package, wheels a little tough to clean, paint finish good (dark stone metallic). Leather.

Overall, pretty good vehicle and I'm pleased with it. Good comprimise for me (had a Ranger and an Explorer), which is why I bought an ST. I didn't pay anywhere near $39k, always buy at the end of the quarter!

One problem; driver's side rear passenger window moulding replaced due to shrinkage/short. Had Red's TSB done, made a difference, improvement.:D

Appreciate the comments. I had a 2002 ST and sold it about a year ago after it rolled past 100k. Would have an '07 already if it were not for dealer buffonery. Anyway, saw a nice green '08 XLT and it got me thinking about STs again. Love the utility, just seeing how the '07s (and thus presumably '08s) are holding up after getting some miles on them. I've always done well with mileage, so I think I could do okay with the V8. Not expecting >20mpg overall though. Keep the comments coming.

prm,

one thing i would like to add, we made 2 round trips to sunny fla, at least 3K each trip, and the 07 was a pleasure on the long ride :D

I have had my 07 Limited just over a year. Have had several problems. Had the fix for the tranny done and it is not much better. After owning it for only a month I wished I had opted for the F150. I am very disappointed with mine. I would not buy another and would not recommend it. Nothing seems to work like it should and Ford doesn't care.

Had my 2wd v8 since dec 1 06. I get 16mpg mostly city driving, on the few highway trips i have taken I get about 20mpg. 9500 miles.

I had the transmission downshifting problem, fixed 2 weeks ago by reprogramming the transmission. covered under warranty. Happy with it so far, I just wish I had ordered leather and the fog lights with mine.

The stereo that came with it was torn out within 24 hours. Ford has some new iSync stereo that may be better but if you like to have good sound, you will probably end up changing it out.

good luck.

I've had my '07 Ltd. for about a year, and have had no issues. Had an early '01 ST, and the '07 is a significant improvement. Rides better, much quieter (virtually no wind noise) and has a V8! Mileage is about as advertised - you don't get a nearly 4,000 lb. 4WD vehicle if MPG is a major consideration. All things considered, I am very happy with this vehicle and would recommend it to anyone. The price was a little higher than I thought it should be, but you do seem to be able to haggle more on domestic vehicles than the foreign ones I was considering. The ST is a versitle, functional vehicle with a look that separates it from the crowd. I like that.

I have had my 07 V6 XLT since Sep 06 and have 18,800 miles on it. Have made two trips to Louisville and averaged 22 MPG on those. My biggest beef with the truck is the MPG. I do a lot of city driving during the week and only get about 15 MPG. I do have a slight heavy foot as my wife can get 17 MPG when she drives. I fixed this by recently buying a 2007 Ford Fusion I4 SEL to drive back and forth to work. 1,500 miles in three weeks and I'm averaging 23 MPG in the city and 31 on the highway. Love both vehicles and I can finally say that my family only drives Ford's. YEAH!!!!

I've had my '07 Limited V8 since May, and I came from an '02. I mostly love the '07, especially the quiet, smooth ride. Here are my complaints, mostly minor:

1) poor gas mileage - I'm getting 11.4 MPG.

2) the bed is deep - it really needs a side step to access the bed at the point closest to the cabin.

3) the center console is too small. My old center console was larger, and it was easy to access everything in it. Additionally, the coin holder in the new one doesn't hold the coins very well, and I am constantly knocking them out of the holder while pulling other things out of the console.

4) I get the "Low Fuel" warning with 50 miles left.....should be 20.

5) the rear headrests block the rear view (but they are removeable).

I would definitely buy one again, and I look forward to my new '10, assuming they still have a Sport Trac by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not one person complained about the door handles! Imagine that...:D

Anyway, I have had my V8 4x4 LTD since mid January and am right at 10K miles. The only issue I have had was no power to the trailer wiring harnesses. Amazingly all it took was a computer flash by the dealer to fix it but that took forever to get it in and for them to figure out the problem.

Complaints - not many. I have never heard anyone else mention this but I find the whole ignition switch setup more annoying than the door handles. Everytime I try to put the damn key in I have to fumble around and eventually peek around the steering wheel to find the key slot. The bezel is all scratched up from this. :angry:

I usually average between 15 and 16 mpg in daily driving and have seen as high as 21 mpg on the highway but usually average around 18-19. This is all from the onboard message center. If I was concerned about fuel mileage enough to hand calculate it I never would have bought a 4x4 anything.;) I have the Magnaflow exhaust, KKM cone type air filter, Todd Z's throttle body and an Xcal2 from Bamachips.

My last three trucks were Rangers and I consider this a definite step up.

I would buy again.

blksn8k,

I like the BFGs. What size did you go with? If I were to go with an XLT, one advantage would be having 17" wheels and a bit more variety of tires available. I would want to put some BFGs on it pretty quick. I like the look of the Limited 18" wheels, just not the selection of tires available.

Latest posts