07 roof leak :(

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney Carnes

Reaction score
As I was backing out of my parking space at work today (after a day of heavy rain), I see drops of water coming from the ceiling and dripping down behind the right rear seat. When I get home I do a brief inspection and see that water has been leaking behind both rear seats. It is coming out of both sides of the little plastic strip that is centered at the rear of the ceiling. Feeling around, it doesnt appear to be soaking the headliner or traveling anywhere else. No obvious signs of where the water is coming in at. I plan to take it back to the dealer, but was just wondering if any other 07 owners has had this problem and where it was found to be coming from. I have a moon roof but no sliding back glass (build 1).

A search of the last 60 days found no discussion. Thanks in advance for any ideas or comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Open the roof and look for the drain lines....

I think a member hear had the same problem nd the factory forgot to hook up the drain tube...

Todd Z

No problem on mine, moon roof with t he sliding rear window. Check the drain tubes as Tod d suggested or take it to your dealer and have them check it....

It is coming in around the third brake light. I would climb up and check the tightness of the two screws holding the third brake light in. The wiring the the third brake light, as well as the plug for it, are just inside and to the left of the light...through a hole in the roof.

I would just take it to the dealer before messing with it. That way if it is screwed up, they will fix it (replace headliner if need be) but if you try to fix it on your own and they can tell, it may become your problem because you messed with it and that is why it is leaking.....

unscrew the 3rd brake light and check the rubber gasket, it might be messed up. It's the same light on the F150's and they've leaked around the 3rd brake light too. If that's it, then the dealer should replace it.

none on my 07, but when i was at a dealer looking at them before i got mine, there was the same leak you have as there was alot of water behind the seats.

good luck hope you solve it

Well i have the leak now. And now my factory sub is making weird noises cause it got wet. The thing is my sub is connected to a after market head unit. I know thats not the cause of the trouble but im sure they will give me hell about fixing the sub. SO was the verdict the 3rd brake light Rodney?

Mine was leaking from the interior dome light. At first it seemed like the water was getting in from the sunroof so the dealer replaced that. Then they thought it was the sataletite radio antenea so they replaced that. After my ST sitting at the dealer for over a week and having the sunroof replaced a 2nd time it still leaked. So i just gave up and it . I pulled down the headliner and it looks as if it was coming in from between the windshield and the roof. But it hasn't leaked in about a year now.

Mine was leaking from the 3rd brake light, but I had a GPS/XM antenna wire routed through there so that was causing it. I got some blue gasket glue and stopped the leak.

LSU - My sub was making hissing sounds during startup. That's because I was feeding it with 12v from the aftermarket AVIC-Z1. I installed a 5v regulator on that line and it's fine now. Just in case your problem is not water related...

LSU, my subs hissing was also because of my aftermarket radio AVIC-Z1. The problem is that most (if not all) aftermarket head units use a +12V remote turn-on for the amp. Well FORD only uses a 5V turn on for the amp, so the 12V from your aftermarket radio is more than likely casuing this problem. Install a 5v regulator as Pat Freeman suggested and you'll be good to go.

No I have the regulator on my head unit and dealt with that issue. Now if I plug in the woofer the sub just fires constantly until i turn the car off.. I think the amp got wet. There was a large puddle in the little cubby above where the factory sub and amp fit. Thanks for the suggestions though guys.

We had a pretty heavy rain here this weekend and I found the tray on top of the storage compartment wad full of water and there was some in the compartment itself. Did not notice water in any other area behind the seat. Those that took your in what was the final word from the dealer and what was fixed?

Latest posts