07 Sport Trac Sub Woofer Amplifier Drains the battery

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know a fix to the problem we have, of the Sub woofer amplifier draining the battery over night? Yes the radio is off when we turn the key/truck off. We pull fuse number 22 (sub woofer/satellite radio), and the problem goes away (but the sound system is equal to a KIA now... Anyone encountered this problem? and... what caused it???

It sounds like the third brake light was leaking and shorted out the amp, or got it wet.....

Look behind the panel and under the sub for water when it rains......

May be able to just take the amp out and apart and clean it if all corroded or replace.

If not have to start testing the amp and sat radio module for drains.

Todd Z

After doing the checks that Todd Z recomends. If it persists My thought are to splice into the power wire on the amp. Run it back to a switch on the dash that seen, as to turn it off. tap the fuse box out wire with a switch that would be closer and less wire.

LOL, UGH, None of those sound like good work-arounds. No one wants to have to worry about un-plugging something, or turning off a switch in the vehicle.

I'm getting ready to put two 12's under the back seat. I really don't want to have to worry about power issues. I'll be running sub-gauge speaker wire back there to the amps and speakers. Did anyone figure out the power issues? I doubt I'll have the same issue, since I'm running new wire. I'm betting it's old wires shorting out, and I won't run into it with new wire. But did anyone figure it out?

Thanks!

JC

I've fixed about 30 of these.....Got pics some where too..... The water gets in the amp and corrodes the internals... Take the sub box out, Remove amp,
Open amp carefully, clean everything and look for corroded and broken pins.... Re solder pins on the elbow where they rot, check for any other corrosion, re assemble and done....

JC, you will be fine if running new stuff.... this is on the factory setup that gets wet...

The subwoofer is provided constant battery power from fuse 22. As Todd mentioned above, it's very common to find corrosion and water intrusion in these amps. You should remove the amp, open it up, clean the connectors and see if you fix it. It's probably just leaking current to ground through corrosion on the connector pins or inside the unit.

I've fixed about 30 of these.....Got pics some where too..... The water gets in the amp and corrodes the internals... Take the sub box out, Remove amp,
Open amp carefully, clean everything and look for corroded and broken pins.... Re solder pins on the elbow where they rot, check for any other corrosion, re assemble and done....

JC, you will be fine if running new stuff.... this is on the factory setup that gets wet...
Where is the amp located?

Factory Amp is behind the Left rear pax seat. Open Driver/Pax door (L Rear door) and pull down latch on the outboard side of the bench seat. Near top of the seat. Speaker and Amp on the rear bulkhead.

Carl

Is this on a Gen 1 or 2 please?
Since it is a 2007, I understand this will be a G2 (generation 2). This brings up an issue I have read about. What can be done about the center stop light on the roof? To make sure it is not leaking all I need is a new gasket or is there more to this I should worry about?

Since it is a 2007, I understand this will be a G2 (generation 2). This brings up an issue I have read about. What can be done about the center stop light on the roof? To make sure it is not leaking all I need is a new gasket or is there more to this I should worry about?
Just a new gasket, Make sure the lens does not separate from the housing or the make sure the plastic doesn't crack. Gaskets are $9 for 2 online.
Replace the gasket don't double them up.
ALSO if you silicone your in for a world of hurt. The dealer did that to me. Had to sand and paint the roof !!!

Just a new gasket, Make sure the lens does not separate from the housing or the make sure the plastic doesn't crack. Gaskets are $9 for 2 online.
Replace the gasket don't double them up.
ALSO if you silicone your in for a world of hurt. The dealer did that to me. Had to sand and paint the roof !!!
Thank You. You also answered my question about the silicone. I had been wondering about this.

Ebay / Amazon