'07 V8 or V6

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Bater

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I have been reading about everyone who has either already purchased or wants a new '07 Trac with the V8. But since I have no need for the towing capacity and the V6 MPG is 15 city instead of 14 city per the sticker for the V8, I can't justify the extra $1100 for the V8.

Is anyone else considering buying an '07 with a V6? I have test drove both and I thought the new V6 is more responsive than my current '03 Trac and enough power for what I need.

I always thought I wanted a V8, but with gas prices going up, I won't be buying a camping trailer anytime soon because I can't handle the very low gas milage you end up with towing the dang thing.

I love my Trac for all the reasons everyone here talk about and that is why I am ordering a new '07. Any thought on the V6 would be welcomed.

Thanks.:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like how the V6 runs, I say go for it. Heck, I like how the V6 in my '02 runs... Until I take the Nomad for a ride. :D

Actually, ( Don't tell Ford)... Well Ok, I did, but I am not overjoyed with the stock performance of the v8. They tuned it down, and slightly over geared it.

Plus with the high probability of me modding it, I am seriously considering the V6 without the premium package.

I am partial to the lower black trim. I don't like the silver side rails and roof rails.. They look much better in the black. (kinda like my truck now)

But I will test drive the v6 and make a decision, But More than likely it will be the v6 for me..

Todd Z

If the V6 works for you, and you're happy with it, get a V6. The up front money for the V8 is certainly a consideration. I really want a V8, so the added money is worth it to me, just in case I need the extra umph at some point. Also, I love the sound of a V8, and I really dislike the sound of a V6. For some odd reason, no V6, even one set up for racing, sounds good to me. More of an annoying shrill. But a V8 is music to my ears (as is a V12 or a twin such as a Ducati or Aprilia racing bike). As for the mileage, if you drive 15,000 miles a year and average 15 with the V6 and 14 with the V8, you will buy 71.4 additional gallons with the V8, and if gas is $3.00/gallon, it adds up to an extra $214.20/year ($17.85/mo) to run the V8. $3000/yr for V6 vs $3214/yr for V8, is that big deal? Each person can decide for themselves.

I say go for the V8. The mileage would be negliable. The truck 4.6 and 5.4 mileage is only 1-2 MPG. The V8 would help in resale too. Just my .02. Be certain your needs won't change for the life of ownership. Any chance you would tow anything? Good luck.

I have the v6 in my 06 Explorer and they completely redesigned it. The tranny is smooth and runs and pulls well. I have 1000 miles on it already and I am getting about 13mpg city and around 18hway, at least that is what the center digita gauge reads........, soI cant say the v8 is going to be any better

i say go fo rthe v8 cause that way there will be no regrets if you ever sit there in traffic or have to tow something and start thinking to yourself as to why you didnt get the v8.

I bought the V6 and I am the one reading the posts on this site everyday saying why didn't I get the V8. I had a V6 in my 01 and it ran just fine, the new one seems whiny in comparison.

I'd save up for the V8 and modify it on top of that for even more power and performance. But that's just me if money (read: cost of gas) was no object.

On another note, I just read a small article in the May issue of Automobile magazine and it mentions how an 07 with a V8 yielded 15mpg after a 350-mile mostly freeway trip. FYI.

I think the main thing fo ryou is the $1100 for the v8, not th egas mileage.

My friends v8 in his Tundra gets way better gas mileage than my '01 ST with a v6. The v8 just does not have to work as hard to get the truck moving. The '07 is heavier then the '01-'05's and the gas mileage may be even lower with a v6 then expected.

I am not trying ot change your mind, just giving some info for you to use in your decision making process. I personally will get the v8, I am just waiting longer to order a Job 2, '07.

The V8 is smoother, doesn't "whine" as you wind it out. It just feels and sounds better. I let a friend (who has a Ram 1500 Hemi) drive it yesterday and he said the ST with the V8 out-accellerates his Hemi. Sounds like Ford got something right with this engine, guys...

PEOPLE:

It's not JUST "$1100 for the V8". The V8 Limited includes:

- V8

- 18" wheels

- 18" tires

- fog lamps

- automatic headlamps

- leather steering wheel + shifter

- color-keyed bumpers, handles, wheel lips, mirrors

- power driver seat

Throw me a freakin bone.......:angry:

Wrong comparison - apples/oranges. What was referenced earlier was a V6 vs. V8, not series-dependent. And "Invoice" is a really loose term - those #'s include dealer holdback. :blink:

See this doc in my file library. Using Ford's site, I created this comparison and you will see that only the engine is different on the two Limiteds and that is where I get the $1100 more per the invoice. This lists the MSRP prices.