07ST: White streaks coming from tie-downs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try removing them and see what it is, IT may be anti seize or some type of thread lubricant...

I know they used these little red rubber bands as gaskets on the 01-05 but those last about 1 week....

Todd Z

LOL, Come to think of it Todd, when I took mine off of my 04 to put the billet ones on, there was no sign of rubber anything.

Ape Out.

I just had this problem start occurring with my ST but only after washing it in a touchless car wash with spray on wax, which might be the cause of the streaks. I'm going to take a closer look and see if I can narrow it down.

I had the same problem after washing the ST. Now as a final step after washing and drying, I blow compressed air at the tie downs to clear any excess water out. Problem Solved!

I noticed the same thing this weekend on my ST and my wifes Freestyle. It was bad on both vehicles. I used a Maguires claybar, but it did not remove the actual streak. Looks like mineral deposits to me.

It sounds like this is an issue that needs to be reported to Ford in numbers and maybe we can get a fix for it. If people are already seeing signs of paint damage to vehicles that are not even a year old, this is not good.:angry:

As a group, can we collaborate/agree on what is the most effective way to report this to Ford, and then all of the 07 ST owners use the same method to report the problem. Is anyone aware of a 1-800 number that we can use to officially report this to Ford?

t sounds like this is an issue that needs to be reported to Ford in numbers and maybe we can get a fix for it. If people are already seeing signs of paint damage to vehicles that are not even a year old, this is not good.

I'll share again that the problem is water deposits. I just got back from Arizona, and the problem was much worse there because the water there is much harder (more suspended minerals), than at home.

As with any water deposits unless you redesolve them before messing/rubbing on them you will damage the paint.

Here at home I can simply spray some detailing spray on them, which re-suspends (desolves) the minerals and I can simply wipe them off with a cotten towel.

The water was so hard in Az, that I had to rewash (reapply washing soap and water) the area to get the streaks removed without damaging the paint.

To prevent them I suggest either using an air hose or leaf blower to blast the collected water from under the tie-downs as part of your cleanup routine, or revisit your ST frequently to clean them up before they dry. Or, use a detailing spray to remove them after they have dried.

What ever you do, do not touch them with rag or towel until the mionerals have been redesolved.

PS:

You can also use the Mr. Clean car washing system, it removes the minerals from the water to prevent water spotting.

Also, keep your polish/wax job fresh, this will also prevent the water deposits from etching the paint.

Good Luck!

Latest posts