08 STA Wiring Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinbakon

Reaction score
If I have been informed correctly, 1, 2 & 3 pictured below are controls for 4x4. (I obviously don't own a 4x4)

What are 4, 5, 6 & 7 for?

[Broken External Image]:

Also, I removed 5, 6 & 7 and the wiring simply snaps into the pack of the dummy plate.

Can I safely use these wires (since they seem to be hot but not utilized) for a 12v accessory line?

The best that I can tell, the black/white wire is a ground and the green/red (same row, two wires over) is a constant with 11.08v to 13.48v current.

Can anyone confirm this & advise?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin,

5 and 7 are the heated seats. Can't help you on 4 and 6 as mine are blanks as well. I am sure that someone with more electrical knowledge than me will chime in shortly regarding using the other wires.

Rod

4: Memory Driver Seat (Explorer) (has 1 and 2 button)

5: Heated Seat Left

6: Rear Window Defroster (Explorer)

7: Heated Seat Right

On a ST, 4 and 6 will always be blank unless Ford adds a memory driver's seat for 2010.

Thanks everyone, good to know.

I don't think I'll ever need any of these options installed from the factory, so I'll be using these locations for rocker switches, etc.

The thing I really need to know is, is it a bad idea to pull the black/white & green/red wires to use for a project. I used my voltmeter and assumed the black was a ground and a few of the others read as low as 11.08 with the engine off and 13.48 with the engine running. The doors were closed and the dome lights & headlights were off when I tested. Since the wiring for 5, 6 & 7 are for heated options and they're probably wired for simple on/off, I should be able to use them. My concern is that they might be wired to the computer and using them may send a false signal.

Advise?

Richie,

You're right. I was just in Pop's updating the Sync software to 1.2 and noticed that he had it. I figured it either was the heated windshield or the heated mirrors (he has both).

Number 6 is for the heated windshield .................... it is great in the winter, no scraping.

Cool. I've wondered for years why nobody offered heated windshields like they do heated back glasses.

Here in Houston, I have no need for a heated windshield or mirrors. Occasionally heated seats would be nice and I did have them in my Acura, but I don't miss them.

So I guess no one can answer my wiring questions/concerns?

The thing I really need to know is, is it a bad idea to pull the black/white & green/red wires to use for a project . . . . . My concern is that they might be wired to the computer and using them may send a false signal

Edmonton is right. And I drove one with a heated windshield once. I wanted to vomit. The windshield is heated by tiny wires in the glass, and with my bizarre vision, my eyes kept trying to focus on both the wires and the road in front of me. Quite nauseating for me, but YMMV.

So I guess no one can answer my wiring questions/concerns?

The thing I really need to know is, is it a bad idea to pull the black/white & green/red wires to use for a project . . . . . My concern is that they might be wired to the computer and using them may send a false signal

Looks like you're good to go with your wiring.

Bk/Wt is ground for multiple dash items, Gn/Rd, which feeds the heated seat relays, goes straight to the Battery Junction Box fuse 28 which is a 20 Amp circuit ..... Hot at All Times.

3581d5b13cd7d9447de806141b64c6dd.jpg

Thank a million ncranchero!

I had suspected as much, but needed some reassurance.

I found 2 green/red wires and it looks like either of them will do.

Latest posts