1993 and 2001 Ford Motors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris Varner

Reaction score
Will the the bottom end of the a 1993 ford ranger 4.0 motor fit and will I be able to use the upper end of a 2001 ford explorer sport trac.

For starters, the 4.0L OHV is an overhead vlve setup with pushrods. The 4.0L SOHC is an Over head cam design with one camshaft on each head.

Tom

The 1993 4.0L uses Fords EEC-IV computer system. The 01 uses Fords EEC-V computer system that is OBD-II complient.

Try them. See if they work. Odds are they wont.

BTW, when you say "bottom end" you are actually refering to the engine and not fuel system. Bottom end refers to the block, pistons, crank, etc. The top end refers to the head, intakes, etc. It does not refer to the fuel system, and sensors.

Tom

But I am using t he heads and all from the 93. the only thing from the 01 is the fuel injection and other conponents

It still won't fit or work. They are totally different engines.

and most likely the intake manifold from the 93

You must use the intake off the 1993. Different engine. You could not expect an intake manifold from a Ford 351C to fit a 351W. Though they are the same "size" engine, they are totally different.

Try it. The worst that could happen is that the computer system is not compatable with the newer components and you either ruin the computer system on the 1993 or ruin the components from the 2001, and maybe both. Another thing could be that all the work you go through doesn't work and you have to do it all over.

Why not use the parts that are supposed to work for the 1993? Why 2001 parts? IMO, that seems pretty foolish. If you think it will be a power upgrade, rethink it. The extra power in the 2001 over the 1993 has nothing to do with the injection system but has everything to do with it being a different engine.

Tom

The reason is that I already have an 01 ST and I have access to a 93 engine for free. I will have to have the 93 engine rebuilt anyway. I am not worried about power because give me a break it is the ford 4.0 any way you do not have alot there any way. I was just wondering if it would work but if it will not I will not worry about getting that motor and just do a V8 upgrade to it when the time comes.

You are wanting to put the 4.0L OHV engine in your Trac?

There is about a 50 HP difference between the OHV and SOHC engines. A noticeable difference.

Tom