2.25 or 2.50 Exhaust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn stonbraker 2

Reaction score
Ok, I've got it in my mind what I'm going to do. I'm going to keep the original tailpipe and put a extention piece of pipe between the pipe out of the cat. and the new muffler to take up the room left after removing the big f-ing OEM muffler. Now I know Train Trac said it was a 2.25 stock size so is that what I get as inlet/outlet? or do I need to get a size bigger. What I'm looking for is a direct bolt on (with clamps) so I need the ends of the muffler to go over the stock pipe. So what I need to know is it a 2.25 ID that I need or a 2.25ID. Thanks all.;)

I believe if you order your new muffler with 2.25 ID you should be fine.. Mufflers are designed to slide in place over existing pipe, IF you buy heavy duty clamps, you can get the 2.50 muffler and crank the clamps down to get it to grab, but the cheep clamps will snap..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm reasonable sure that the Trac uses a 2 1/4 inch ID pipe throughout. After markets usually us 2 1/2 in. With the slightly higher back pressure of the smaller pipe, the bottom end will have slightly more torque and the high end slightly less HP.

Grump, go here

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/18990/Areo%20Exhaust%2025%20FEB%2006/Old%20parts%20(Muffler%20on%20right,%20Resonator%20on%20middle,%20Old%20exhaust%20tip%20left).JPG

You will see the stock muffler is almost 3 feet long...

Sh*t yeah grump! that thing is way to big for the purpose. My wifes Mountaineer has the same size on it!! The only problem with hers is it sets closer to the body as ours do and you would definately have to go with one that was round due to the heatshroud being practically wraped around it.;)

Stick with the 2.25 if your looking for a muffler to fit the stock pipe. Getting a larger sized muffler means either clamps or a larger weld to make it fit. If your going for a single exhaust, I still recommend the areo exhaust muffler.