2001 door lock problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My ST 2001 front left door is not locking properly. The button moves down when it is clicked, but does not lock. It seems like a linkage has come loose. Anyone have any experience and tips before I start dismantling the door cover?

The button is attached to a rod that is attached directly to the latch mechanism. The button is showing you what the latch is doing. So i am going to guess and say that your power lock is the issue. It is either binding up at the end of the travel or it is binding against something.

The best wat to check to se the issue is to remove the door. Take the linkage rod off of the power lock motor. Operate the lock using the button and see what happens.

If it locks, the problem is with the power lock motor, the motor attaching rivits, (what holds it to the door), or the linkage rod, (very unlikely). If it does NOT lock then the issue is within the latch itself.

I have had big problems with all the locks in my 04. Usually about 1 out of every 10 times, when I start the car there is a loud grinding noise. Sometimes the locks will work, sometimes not. Of course, I never does it when its at the dealer so cant get it fixed. I was able to to reproduce the sound/malfunction with one of the doors though. Turned out to be the "actuator". not sure if thats the acutual motor or not.

Sorry for the big write up, If yours is making a terrible noise, that might be it

Ebin

Thanks Coastiejoe and Ebin for your replies. I don't have any noise. Will take on the task of removing the door panel and see what what went wrong.

Regards

Latest posts