2001 Rear End Whine

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl beasley

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
I posted here before describing the whine coming from the rear of my Trac. 2001ST, mileage just over 72K miles. I've replaced the tires, shocks, wheel bearings and rear brakes.

Still have a whine that starts at 25mph and increases in pitch the faster I go. If I let off the gas, the whine quits. No difference in the whine pitch while cornering. Just while under acceleration and at cruise. Let off the gas = no noise.

So, pinion bearing &/or pinion gear. Ford Dealer says 1K to 1.5K to rebuild. Local Goodyear shop is in the same ballpark.

Questions: Any info on new rear axle suppliers? I have a 3.73 axle. What if I drop in a 4.10? Any problems with tranny, speed-o ?

Any other suggestions?

thanks,

Carl

If going to switch then upgrade to the 4.11 Limited slip.

But you may be able to simply adjust the ring and pinion back lash or the pinion depth to get a better tooth pattern and get rid of the whine...

Of course make sure the parts are not worn, bad or broken before adjusting any thing..

Todd Z

thanks for the input. I've found zbag.com and a couple of others that have parts and DVDs on procedures.

Carl

I have this exact problem in a 2001 with 4.11 and 4x4. I have 90,500 miles. I just got new tires, new shocks, and new brakes - and the whine is still there. I'll have to explore this option further. Thanks for the excellent information...

(kicking myself for not looking here first)

Sounds very similar to noise I had (2001 4x2 also). Replaced both pinion bearings. Solved problem. Cost $500 at trustworthy, local repair shop. Your quotes seem way to high!

i had a very similar problem at about 77k. the whine was very loud and stopped when i released the gas. when i stepped on the gas again there was a clunk that came from the rear. i took it in to the dealer and hwound up having to get the rear replaced. no more problems with the rear again and noise was gone.

while i had this noise i was driving into work one morning at about 3am and a cop came out of the bushes and rode behind me, then alongside me for about 3 miles. finally he pulled me over and wanted to make sure everything was ok and nothing was gonna come flying of the truck or anything like that. he had said he heard me coming before he even saw me. that just gives you an idea of how loud it was. it was embarassing for me to drive it around for as long as i did with that awful noise.

Latest posts