2001 Sport Track

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoachKelly

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
  • Make/Model/Year: 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
  • Specifications: 4x4, 4.0L, Auto
  • Features: Power windows/locks/rear window/seats
  • Modifications: Minor Stuff: Toolbox, Multiple USB outlets added, New stereo on the way.
  • History: 2nd owner, purchased from the city of Gallup, NM where it was being used by the construction supervision it's entire life (his name was Stan, so its sorta called the StanWagon).
  • Interesting: It's got a weird mix of premium and base model features.

Attachments

• IMG_20230829_183331_777.jpg
    IMG_20230829_183331_777.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
Welcome to the Herd; lots of friendly knowledgable folk in these forums!
A good looking SportTrac from what I can see in your pic.
Is your ExST an early 2001Job1 (variable IntakeManifold shaped like a pretzel & OilDipStick on right side),
or is it a later 2001Job2 model with static IntakeManifold revised design & OilDipStick on left side?
Best to renew OilPressurized TimingTensioners if thats never been done or in the last 100kMiles.
Also a good idea to replace the JunkPlastic ThermoStatHousing with an Aluminum version.
Several other specific NotoriousFailureItems that should be attended to.

My oil dipstick is on the drivers side, so more likely a Job2.
Engine is new(ish) so I'm not worried about the tensioners (yet), but I intend to keep a close eye on them and replace them as soon as I notice anything amiss. The upgraded metal thermostat housing is on my short list of things to do as well. I had the Stealership go over it at length yesterday and nothing is amiss so far except cosmetic stuff.
ETA: The engine was replaced at the demand of the supervisor in 2021, then he retired the next year (2022), it then went and sat at the equipment yard being held for auction until this August. So the new engine only has 1 year total on it.

Latest posts