2001 ST I believe the term is insulator

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Olson

Reaction score
I met another fellow ST owner at the neighborhood dump. He had just replaced, I believe the term was "insulator". He had a 2006 ST. He said his had deteriorated and needed to be replaced.

I did a quick inspection on my 2001 ST 2X4 and I only saw two per side. There was one just behind the right front wheel and one directly under the center of the cab. Mine are deteriorated also.

Question 1:

How many are there per side?

Question 2:

Is that doable, or is this a shop only job?

Question 3:

Are the factory ones the best to go with or is there a better aftermarket part?

Thanks!

He probably is, and here's a link to another post. Check the link provided by swshawaii within that post for more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I call them rubber cab mounts and I believe there are six of them and they dryrot into dust. I came across this problem when I put a body lift on. its a very common problem that ford should recall for but not really a hard fix. also I got a universal body mount replacement kit I believe from jc whitney or online someplace, point is I would avoid replacing them with factory ford ones unless you want to do it again and again and so on. you will wind up with the same inferior part that you got from ford in the first place. you can get them in red or black, I suggest sticking with the black ones because they are injected with graphite and wont end up squeeking on you down the road. pull the flooring up to expose the body mount bolts and remove them one at a time replacing the mount and bolt. by doing one at a time the cab wont tilt or shift. you may want to loosen them all slightly to give yourself a little wiggle room however. a pry bar as well as some sort of a guide pin will greatly help align the mount and the bolt will drop back into place much nicer for you. take your time, breath and you should get through this just fine.

Prothane 6116 or Daystar KF04015

Last edited by a moderator:
All good info here but I don't think the guy you ran into had a 2006.

For the right price, I'd have a shop do this job. I did a body lift, am quite handy but am not looking forward to doing this job. Wish I had done it when I did the body lift.

Q. Do all of the Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings contain 'graphite' to stop squeaks?

A. No, only the BLACK polyurethane bushings can contain 'graphite'. If graphite was used in the red, yellow or blue bushings it would make them gray in color. Graphite is included in the black bushings to help with the squeak problem that urethane can have. The newest 'Hyper flex' formula is designed to decrease the possibility of squeaks even further. Strut rod bushings, body mounts and motor mounts do not use graphite, because they are a compression type bushing and the graphite would affect the bushings ability to rebound when compressed, and compression type bushings do not squeak.

Last edited: