2001 wont start

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Came back to truck pressed unlock button on key fob like normal gave single chirp and went to start truck and nothing, everything works and is good just when key is turned no starter engagement seems like anti theft is not letting it start. Any ideas on how to remedy this problem. also i noticed a plug in spot at bottom of dash that has a red led on it flashing at all times. HELP PLEASE! I have two FOBS but one key just to narrow trying the other key down.

Jim,

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you may have purchased this vehicle used as you are not aware that it also has an aftermarket alarm on it as indicated by the presence of the led you are seeing. When you try to start it do you see the theft indicator in the instrument cluster flashing? This indicator would be for the factory system but if I'm not mistaken it cuts off the fuel and not the starter.

I figure that it has had an aftermarket alarm installed in conjunction with the factory since it uses the original ford key fobs..... as the tow truck pulled up last night it starts.... figures... but once again today back in the same spot no start.....ughhhhh!!!!!any suggestions

Make sure that you battery connections are clean and tight. If those check out you need to check the wire at the starter that gets 12 volts to it when you turn the key to the start position, this wire is yellow with a light blue tracer. Turn the key to the start position, if you get 12 volts there and you have 12 volts at the main cable to the starter you need a starter

Latest posts