2002 Sport Trac OBD Not working Fuses all good?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toneybrown07

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
So, My 02 Sport Trac threw a check engine light today. Didn't notice anything off when driving, but took it by two auto part stores and neither could get the OBD reader to work. One said the Key needed to be turned on, which it was. The other just wouldn't connect.

Doing online searches I see a lot of people had problems with the fuse that works the OBD connector and the cigarette lighter. My fuses all seem good, and the lighter plug works.

One issue I do have with the truck is the ignition is kind of wonky. The shifter is pretty loose, and I have to push up on the shifter to be able to turn the key all the way off and pull the key out. I'm curious if something in the ignition/column could be causing the problems with the OBD reader? If I can't figure it out, I'll just live with the check engine light until I notice a performance issue I guess.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I went ahead and disconnected the negative terminal of the battery to reset the Check Engine light. Will wait and see if it pops back up. Still can't figure out why the ODB connector is not transmitting data.......

From what I remember there is actually a second fuse for it..... Need a fuse tester or volt meter and start testing.

Well, after resetting the check engine light, it stayed off for half a day. On the way home from work it came back on. Going to stop buy Autozone and have them attempt to run the code again. If that doesn't work, I guess I will look at every fuse in this sucker!!!

Last edited:
If serious about vehicle maintenance, truely need your own OBD2 Scanner.
ELM\BlueTooth Module & ForScan+OBDLink+... apps can be had for $25~$100.