2002 ST Headlight Lens Replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim OLeary

Reaction score
I replaced the headlight bulbs with LEDs last year and they are working well, but the plastic enclosures are foggy, and I have tried a few restoration products but so far am unable to clear them up. I notice most older cars seem to have foggy headlight lenses.
When I shop for headlight lenses, they all include lamps that I don't need or want. Any clues where I can purchase housings only, or if not, what are good quality headlight lenses (even if they include lamps)?
TIA

I just bought new headlights that came with bulbs. Put extra silicone on them even. Noticed yesterday there’s moisture in the drivers side light. Two weeks I’ve had them ! Any way to stop the moisture forming or are there some others to purchase that don’t SUCK?

Maybe condensation? With conventional lamps you would think the warmth of the lamp would dry out moisture. I never replaced my 2002 ST headlamp enclosures, they don't leak but got foggy but put in LEDS, and even though the lens are opaque, the LEDs throw a noticeably bright beam than the top-of-the-line halogens I was using b4. By top-of-the-line I mean from the auto parts store, nothing exotic. I got the LED ones off AMAZON, and have been satisfying. No issues...yet. I still want to either clean the lenses or by new ones. what lenses did you use that leaked? BTW I guess I cheated a little and installed a small light bar and wired so it lights with my high beams. I used a relay and got the power direct off the battery with an in-line fuse. The relay coil is connected to one of the high beam wires. So when I flash my brights or drive in the sticks, I use them. My truck has a switch that controls the driving lights which I upgraded to LEDs also. So I am also looking for headlights or a kit that actually clears up foggy lenses. Good Luck!

I bough the lamp/lens setup for my 2002 at Rock Auto and I believe the lamp was removable.

I got mine on Amazon, some no-name brand. It’s condensation for sure, which I had in my factory ones that I took off and saved, so I could put those back on. I re-sealed them with a LOT of silicone, maybe that’s the trick. Haven’t tried LED bulbs yet but definitely going to because these lamps are too dim compared to the bright ones of newer vehicles.

Check this link out! I’m planning to do this soon. Hope this helps!

I got mine on Amazon, some no-name brand. It’s condensation for sure, which I had in my factory ones that I took off and saved, so I could put those back on. I re-sealed them with a LOT of silicone, maybe that’s the trick. Haven’t tried LED bulbs yet but definitely going to because these lamps are too dim compared to the bright ones of newer vehicles.
Re-sealed them where? I'm about to install new headlights also.

Maybe this can help. Same here on both sides for headlight replacements due to originals were really cloudy and scuffed. Very easy replacement and had condensation and water in one. I removed it, rinsed it with distilled water because there was condensation water marks inside, dried the inside with hair dryer, and sealed it with clear silcone tube caulk.

I luckily found that the one was leaking at the top clear plastic clasp that folds over the black tab. Found source of leak accidentally when rinsing inside and water leaked out. Totally sealed the clasp area and around it. No leaks or condensation since for over a year. Eagle Eyes brand headlights. Cleaned seam with rubbing alcohol before sealing. Looks great and holding up well. Came with all 3 bulbs and sockets too.

Maybe this can help. Same here on both sides for headlight replacements due to originals were really cloudy and scuffed. Very easy replacement and had condensation and water in one. I removed it, rinsed it with distilled water because there was condensation water marks inside, dried the inside with hair dryer, and sealed it with clear silcone tube caulk.

I luckily found that the one was leaking at the top clear plastic clasp that folds over the black tab. Found source of leak accidentally when rinsing inside and water leaked out. Totally sealed the clasp area and around it. No leaks or condensation since for over a year. Eagle Eyes brand headlights. Cleaned seam with rubbing alcohol before sealing. Looks great and holding up well. Came with all 3 bulbs and sockets too.
Would you recommend just sealing the spot where you found the leak, or the entire perimeter seam, as well?

I did the whole seam and the folled in black tabs especially (where I found the leak). I did the non-leaking one too. 20221031_093951.jpg

No one has mentioned it yet, but I assume an alignment has to be done after replacing the headlights. I was planning on marking my current beam locations on the garage door with tape, then duplicating the locations with the new lights. Is there a better way?

Good idea to mark the original ones for projection on the door and then check after new ones are in. These do not have left/right adjustmant screws. The housing is pretty secure that this is not needed imo. But, they do have an up and down adjustmant screw that will most likely be needed.

You might want to try the screws for a few turns back and forth before install to make sure they turn freely. I have read reviews where this is sometimes a problem.