2002 timing chain

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike M 4

Reaction score
Just brought the track to the dealer. They informed me the that they were going to replace a cassette for the timing chain. What is this anyone know? FYI, noise at 2500 rpm sounds like a bearing rattle. Its going to be in the shop for at least a day to a day and a half.

thanks

That is the hydraulic tensioner... Most reason the chain slaps the cover..

Todd Z

Todd Z- This does not sound like a big deal, just a lot of work. would you agree? Its covered under extended warrenty.

thanks in advance

yes a lot of work, the complete front of the engine must come off....

I have heard of members doing nothing about it, BUT then I have heard of it wearing a hole on the cover...

Glad it is under warranty and being fixed...

Keep us posted..

Todd Z

Well, the dealership called me at the end of the day yesterday. I wasn't expecting the call until today. Fixed the timing chain tensioner, changed the oil and I think they even cleaned up the Track as well. They also went through their multiple point check on the vehicle and even double checked my laundry list of items to make sure everything was done. No more rattle at 2.5 k rpm.

Cost: 100 for the deductable on my extended warrenty, 40 for the extra diagnostic time on items not related to the warrenty, 36 for the parts to replace the broken door handles my lovely wife and children snapped off last year. All in all pretty good service, done quicly and without a hassle. they even had a loaner waiting to go for me no charge.

Forest Lake Ford in MN.

Last edited by a moderator: