2003 Sport Trac Adrenalin XLT 4x4, 206k miles, broken timing chain for $1,000. Worth it?

Help Support SportTrac.org:

imapotato

Reaction score
The guy says the 4x4 transmission works fine, no accidents, and two owners. Leather interior looks clean. Exterior has expected dings for a 17 year old car. I want to pull the engine, replace the chains, and do the timing. Then change the fluids, filters, and spark plugs. This is a long/slow project while waiting for my lease to run out. I'm not a mechanic but I believe I've researched enough to finish it over a couple weekends.
Is it worth it to buy this and turn it into a daily driver? Driving 10,000 to 12,000 miles a year. I'm not sure on any maintenance done yet or whats been replaced. Ultimately i'm trying to make a calculated gamble.

DILLARD000

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Much depends on your mechanical skills\patience, pocket book, & how much you like this truck?
Minimum you'll likely spend $1500+ in new parts:
~ All Timing Components
~ Oil Pump, Pressure Sensor
~ Tools, Engine Lift
~ Gaskets, Filters, Fluids
~ Plugs+Wires+Coil, O2 Sensors
~ Coolant ThermoStat+Housing+Hoses+HeaterControlValve
Possibly another $1000+ to replace any\all of these:
~ MAFSensor, ThrottlePosSensor, IACValve, DPFESensor, EGRValve, PCVValve
~ Coolant Pump+Radiator
~ Fuel Pump+Filter
~ CatConvertors
~ RearLeafSprings, Other Suspension Items, Brakes, Tires
~ TransferCase ShiftMotor+ControlModule
Possibly another $500+ for
~ Transmission ValveBodyRebuildKit +ATF +Filter

All above assumes both Engine+Tranny are in working\servicable\repairable condition
& that you do the work yourself; if either has to be replaced, add another $1000~$2000.
So purchase+license cost, plus $1500~$5000 to get truck in reliable DailyDriver shape
depending on issues found; critical that you've high confidence\skills\patience, finances,
garage space & time for this work over several weeks\months.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

rdmallory

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
Just buy a low millage engine and swap it out. Replace what is needed just rebuilt a 2003 4x4 manual including brakes, exhaust, clutch, rear diff, tires, and leather seat covers for about 3k. Priced a new on lately?

imapotato

Reaction score
$3,000 to $5,000 over two years will be okay to me. I figure an engine hoist, mount, gaskets, and timing kit will cost roughly $600. Fluids, filters, and gaskets a couple hundred more. All in, get it running for under $1,000. Replace the plugs, wires, and recharge the a/c for another $500. I'm hoping for the low end to make it a daily driver. We should be making a decision this weekend.

Evox

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
I guess he passed on this.

Fordtruckfan89

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Did something very similar two years ago when I got mine. I've put 30k miles on it since then. Besides some maintenance items, it's needed no large repairs. I paid almost double that, put 1200 in the engine, it's been a good little truck.