2003 Windstar ABS help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
My sister has a 2003 Windstar. The ABS light and Brake light come on intermitingly. It may come on for a day and then be off a month, or it may be on for a month and off for a day.

Pulled the chassis codes and here is what we got...

C1185

C1198

C1194

C1254

C1246

C1250

C1242

C1214

C1210

Sounds like this could be the ABS module or wiring. Is the ABS module failure on this model common?

Tom

Buddy's Windstar had ABS issues and the front right wheel would intermittently kick in the ABS even at low speeds when stopping. A mechanic told him the sensor on the opposite wheel was either bad or mis aligned (Too far from the exciter ring) Removed the sensor on left rear wheel, cleaned it, and reinstalled and problem went away. His was a 95 however...

I believe the issue is the ABS ECU. The thermal expansion of approximatly .0123" of the internal aluminum plate is causing the board to act funny.

A new ECU runs about $400.00 and to have it rebuilt will cost about $80.00.

I just want a second opinion before I "pull the trigger" (and I don't mean shoot someone) on having it rebuilt or just replacing it.

Tom