2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 2wd 304,161 miles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had ordered an 05 Sport Trac and shortly after my dealer called me and offered a deal on one of two 04s he had. He said there was a $3000 rebate from Ford for previous owners and he would knock another $3000 of list. He also told me the feds were giving $2000 of for E-85 vehicles. I also remember Ford was having trouble with the transmissions that were made in France for the 04s. I had no idea what transmission I had until the aforementioned fluid and filter change. I also remember other Sport Trac owners discussing the mpg they were getting and wondering why I wasn't getting close to that mileage. So it appears mine is a 4 speed. When entering a highway I can actually feel it shift 3 times as it hits overdrive and the tach drops a bit. Out of curiosity, what does your tach read at 70? Also, not sure if I mentioned, mine is a 4X4.
Mine is a 4X4, as well. Pretty sure you have the same auto tranny. I feel mine shifting, too (can't help it, as I come from a 6-speed, manually-shifting background).

Here's what I found doing a quick search.

Where is the transmission fluid dip stick 2004 ford explorer xls? - Answers

Starting in 2002 the Ford Explorer 4 door does not have an automatic Transmission Fluid dipstick. Since mine has the dipstick it appears my ST doesn't have the normal 5 speed so what transmission do I have?
Often time Sport Trac get lumped in with Explorers. And you can't do that, especially for model year 02-05. The Sport Trac was a generation on behind and most parts will not be the same. The 2 have different variants of the 5R55 transmission and this is often why those things are wrong. I also had someone once tell me that mine 04 Sport Trac doesn't have a dipstick, and went back and saw that it did.

my son has the 04 and it has a dip stick.
i haven't looked under to see if it has the fill valve also who knows with ford. But every you tube video says it is filled from under the truck. so they need to tell people to check and not assume you dont have a dip stick to add and check thanks for your time.

my son has the 04 and it has a dip stick.
i haven't looked under to see if it has the fill valve also who knows with ford. But every you tube video says it is filled from under the truck. so they need to tell people to check and not assume you dont have a dip stick to add and check thanks for your time.
Believe the 5r55e Auto Trans was held over thru the end of 2001~2005 Gen1 SportTrac's,
so yep the SportTracs were running 3 or 4 years behind the regular Explorers,
so far as changing to the later 5r55s version without a DipStick.
Gen1 SportTracs seem to have more parts in common
with Ranger\B4000 ExtendedCabs of the same year than regular Explorers of the same year.

I was one that assumed I had no trans dip stick due to the video's. Looking under the hood it was deceiving, it was there hidden under the top radiator hose. Not in plain sight.

I was one that assumed I had no trans dip stick due to the video's. Looking under the hood it was deceiving, it was there hidden under the top radiator hose. Not in plain sight.
Yep, you've got a 5r55e Trans.
A lot of good info on YouTube, but also a lot of inaccuracies/assumptions, so best to verify & then re-verify. Too many folks out there who refuse to get off the sofa, out from behind their computer/phone screen, to confirm what's real & what's not.

Last edited:
So how has the truck held up? Any update? Also is the 5r55s transmission any good? Is there any way to check the fluid on these? I’ve heard many issues with the sport trac transmission, would be be more likely one model over the other? Looking at a 4.0 with 205k miles right now and trying to decide if worth checking into. Thanks

I'll add a picture, but it's nothing special; it's a stock 2004 oxford white XLT, right down to the radio; I've modified nothing. I've owned it since new; its build date is January of '04.

I don't know what to say, except it has been a dependable truck.

Well, except for the instrument cluster, which gave me my first problem somewhere over 200,000 miles. The Speedometer stepper motor gave out. My theory is the speed sensor went bad first, and then the gears in the stepper motor wore out, but that's just a theory.

It still has its original timing chain cassettes, and its compression is good; that's probably because I never really pushed the truck. Except for replacing wear items and routine fluids, I've not done much except drive it. The truck has lived its entire life in the southeast, so corrosion isn't a problem.

The mistakes I've made have always involved trying to cut costs on parts.

For example, when the original alternate crapped the bed somewhere between 175k and 200k miles, I replaced it with an Advanced Auto "lifetime guaranteed" alternator, which, while cheap and easy, caused me headaches for a couple of years. I had to use that "lifetime guarantee" three times, killing two batteries along the way. That's a crappy dance. A bad alternator can kill a battery, and a bad battery can kill an alternator.

Had I to do it again, I would have spent a hundred or so dollars more and gone with a Motorcraft replacement. That's my primary advice, stick to quality parts. Yes, they cost more upfront, but they save you time and money in the long run. Every time I've tried to cut corners, I've regretted it. And that goes for any car or truck I've owned over the years.

The only thing wrong with it right now is its weeping oil from the rear main seal. Not enough to drip on my driveway or the garage floor, and certainly not enough to cause me to add oil between oil changes. But enough to annoy me any time I've been under the truck over the last couple of years.

I'm a little OCD when it comes to oil leaks.
Can I ask your oil change schedule??? I'm at 208000 and hoping for many more

Latest posts