2004 ford explorer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris brown

Reaction score
2004 ford explorer

when i turn left or right or go over speed bumps I hear and feel a vibration sound coming from my wheel sounds like my tire in trying to grip but i have olny 40K on the tires.

I had a 97 explorer that did the same thing, I got a power steering flush and it went away. The fluid was so dirty (burnt looking and smelling) that they had to flush it twice. Problem went away. Hope that helps.

Although this doesn't really sound exactly the same I had a vibration (shudder) in my 2004 ST that was finally fixed by replacing some of the power steering components. There is a TSB on this. What I experienced was when driving very slow, backing, or sitting still and turning the wheel in either direction you would feel a bad shudder. The first couple times it did it I thought the enging was dying as that was what the shake felt like. This would not happen at speeds over a couple miles per hour just when going really slow. Just thought I would throw this out as a possibility but it does not sound the same but you didn't state exactly what you meant by a vibration or a what speed it did it.

Chris, when I take turns with my 4wd '04 at about 20mph I hear a "skitch, skitch, skitch" sound from the rear tires, as if they are gripping then letting loose of the pavement.

Of course, even though under warranty, the dealer can never reproduce the sound. I hear it all the time turning off the main road into the road our house is on.

Firedog, I had the problem you mentioned too and that was fixed under warranty via the TSB. It was a shudder, and you felt it in the steering wheel. I wonder if Chris hears what I hear on the rears?

TJR

Mine was fixed under warranty too after 3 trips to the dealer and a one fluid flush and replacement. I totally missed the word "hear" in his post, I never heard anything. Certainly sounds like a totally different problem.

Chris, when I take turns with my 4wd '04 at about 20mph I hear a "skitch, skitch, skitch" sound from the rear tires, as if they are gripping then letting loose of the pavement.

Talking about your Sport Trac? Sounds to me you have normal operation since it sounds like you have a limited slip differential and it is still like brand new.

Tom

Yes, Caymen, it's my ST I was talking about.

Regarding your comment of "still like brand new"; does that mean that as the truck wears it will sound differently?

TJR

Regarding your comment of "still like brand new"; does that mean that as the truck wears it will sound differently?

Inside the LSD, there are clutches. As you slip a clutch, it will begin to wear. Depending on your driving habits, i.e. city driving with a bunch of turns or highway with few turns, the clutches can wear out to the point of being just like an open differential. If your clutches were worn out, you would not hear that sound from the back because it would be a regular, or open, differential.

Tom

Jim P here is the link to all the TSB's for the 2002 Sport Trac, somewhere I got a complete printout of the TSB just like the dealer can get explaining the problem and the fix further but I can not find it at the moment I will keep looking. If you do a search of the post for shudder or steering you will find several post about it.