2005 ford freestar

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtis james

4 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
hey all, i know this is a trac forum but over the 18 years i have read some really helpful tips, i have a 05 freestar, ford. i got it new and it has sat in driveway last 10 years with just cleaning and occasional drive, my daughter in air force and wants it, i got 110k miles but it starts right up and drives perfect but no lights or power works, can not even unlock it but starts right up, all gauges are dead..except the front turn signal blinks.the most i drove it was 10 miles last year with above issues. any advise would be awesome, i have read ecu with water leaks down hood? i thought alternator but if battery has 13 volts i should have power to windows or door locks. the thing is in perfect shape so i have kept it as my wife hates mini vans now so it has sat. thanks .Will

Sadly could be from jump starting and damaging things, or low voltage damage from sitting.... Have to search the freestar forums or online.

thanks todd, i have read quite a few that talk about water coming down cowl and leaking, i checked it, looked ok but just baffling..it runs great so i thought maybe alternator but fully charged battery i thought would have amps to run elctronics as there is none. but the front turn signal runs non stop..figured it being a ford i might get lucky on here.

hey all, i know this is a trac forum but over the 18 years i have read some really helpful tips, i have a 05 freestar, ford. i got it new and it has sat in driveway last 10 years with just cleaning and occasional drive, my daughter in air force and wants it, i got 110k miles but it starts right up and drives perfect but no lights or power works, can not even unlock it but starts right up, all gauges are dead..except the front turn signal blinks.the most i drove it was 10 miles last year with above issues. any advise would be awesome, i have read ecu with water leaks down hood? i thought alternator but if battery has 13 volts i should have power to windows or door locks. the thing is in perfect shape so i have kept it as my wife hates mini vans now so it has sat. thanks .Will
I had a 2005 Freestar (as well as my 2001 Sport Trac). Good vehicle. Most likely, it's the BCM (Body Control Module) under the dash. Could be loose/corroded connector. I had to replace my BCM due to blown transister for right turn signal. The new (to me) BCM had a loose fitting connector which cause the door locks to act up. Easy to replace yourself. You'll have to reprogram your key fobs and door code (master key is on a sticker on the BCM). After market parts are plentiful. 2005 Ford Freestar Body Control Module Computer BCM 5F2T14B476AE OEM for sale online | eBay

Thank you, i am scratching my head on this one, other forums do not describe the same issue, was thinking a alternator but with a new battery i would think it would power something. can not even open rear hatch from being locked. The most bizarre is right turn signal blinks when running but no power anywhere else..

Just throwing this out there as it is a quick check... hook your multimeter up, red to battery terminal, black to some place on the chassis. If you get a wonky reading then hunt down and clean up the black battery cable ground to chassis (should be right next to the battery). If you find this helps then hunt down the rest of the ground points in the engine compartment and clean them up too.

will do,,,thank you.

While you have the multimeter out... check for power at the engine compartment fuse box. #75 (PCM power diode) should be a good place to start. If you have power to that fuse box then move to the inside fuse box. That thing is called the SJB (Smart Junction Box). Check for power coming into it and then check for power coming out of it. Found a reference to it online, a new one is/was expensive and it looks to have to be programmed by dealer. Maybe the connection is just borked up.

CircuitBoardMedics might be able to fix the SJB and would therefore not need to be programmed by the dealer again.

Last edited:
thanks again blert,, the electric gremlins get the best of me, i normally start replacing parts and the last one in sequence is usually the bad one. thanks for taking the time to reply,,

Latest posts