2005 XLT Suspension

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Carlson

Reaction score
So some of you know I traded up from a 2001 to my current 2005 XLT. By comparison, do the 2005's benefit from the standard suspension upgrades (rear shocks, maybe front shocks, EE swaybar)?

My 2004 which is identical to the 05 in OEM-ness (if I am not mistaken) benefited TREMENDOUSLY when replacing the OEM shocks with Rancho RSX (all the way around).

The vehicle was unsafe at many speeds prior. I replaced the shocks at 8K miles...should have replaced them at 8 miles.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Kefguy,

They made minor changes but nothing extreem...

Do the upgrades as you will, and keep in mind I will have rear sway bars for sale shortly..

BUT please DO not upgrade the front sway bar with out having the rear one first...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I have new shocks and the rear sway bar on my 05 xlt and the improvement is dramatic. I judge the improvement solely on my vehicle crossing over railroad tracks. LOL All I feel now is a little rumble as opposed to rattling, bone jarring, side sliding, rear end skipping factory nonsense.

Thanks, guys. In my '01, I didn't really notice a lot of the suspension issues that a lot of you did. In this '05, I notice the bumps over the railroad tracks and the sliding when I come off of curved off-ramps, even at slower speeds. Don't much care for it.

Todd, let me know when you get things going with the sway bars.

TJR, "OEM-ness" - is that a word? :)

Kefguy said:
In my '01, I didn't really notice a lot of the suspension issues that a lot of you did. In this '05, I notice the bumps over the railroad tracks and the sliding when I come off of curved off-ramps, even at slower speeds. Don't much care for it

Very interesting that you say that Kefguy.

I had a lot of older model owners tell me that I was smoking crack when I described similar "unsafe and unsettling" (my words) behavior with my '04. Hit a pothole or bump of any size at anything over 30MPH and you better be ready for "Mr Toad's Wild Ride". By several folks here I was more or less told that I didn't know how to drive.

I've driven light pickups before, and my '04 ST with OEM shocks, IMHO, had the most unsafe ride when it came to bucking, diving, and shuddering over road imperfections.

So now, as you say the '01 didn't have those issues that you observed makes me think that maybe something changed in the later models to actually make them even looser and less stable.

TJR

Maybe some of the '01s had better shocks? It's not uncommon for the auto manufacturers to switch to a cheaper part during model year. All I know, is my '04 with factory shocks was not a stable rider on the expressway nor on rough surfaces. Way too much nose-dive during braking too. New shocks at 2,500 miles cured that problem.