2006 vs 2007 looking to buy

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJ Nicolas

Reaction score
i'm looking to buy a new sporttrac and i was wondering if there were any real benefits or downfalls comparing the two.

2006 vs 2007 sporttrac

any info would be helpful thanks

There were no '06's. The last gen 1 was '05. Ford skiped a year to '07 gen2.

Iam sure someone will chime in that has owned both...

We have an '01 and have driven an '07. From what I've read here you cannot raise or lower an '07; the '07 does have much better road manners and is much more comfortable right off the showroom floor because Ford built it with automatic ride control. I'm sure the aftermarket companies will be comming out with goodies for it in the near future. I personally feel that the '07 styling is blah. ToddZ got to test drive one early last year with the press riding along, so I sure he will have more to say. :D

I owned an 04 adrenaline fully loaded and now own an 07 fully loaded and I can honestly say there is no contest between the two. The 07 wins hands down as far as interior room, ride comfort, steering radius, towing capacity. Shall I go on? The 07 rides and drives like a car. Ok, can you tell that I love my 07. If the cost between the two is small I'd go for the new technology.

'07 has a very ugly dash design, with lots of big seams, material changes, and different textures. There are all sorts of little doors and pop-out panels. Whoever designed the dash / instrument panel must have been smoking crack or was just a kindergartner.

The '07 door handles are a joke. Yes, they are putting a little cutout in the armrest, but that will only serve to weaken the armrest and cause more wear there.

The '07 interior needs a whole lot of work in addition to the dash design and door panels. The color of the tan is way too light. Black should be an option. The interior in general looks very cheap and unrefined. It looks like they did the design in one afternoon.

Interior illumination of the '07 is much better than the first generation, although it needs footwell lighting up front. The exterior lighting is better, with nice puddle lights and light circuit logic.

'07 heater distribution ductwork is cheap and cheesy. Most of the air blows out of ugly and plainly visible slots on the passenger side and burns the passenger's left foot. The driver gets very little heat. The rear console has the cheesy slots as well, and there is no additional fan to control the airflow to the rear like the '01-'05 has. The air conditioner vent louvers are not very adjustable on the '07.

The storage compartments in the bed of the '07 are a joke. They sever no purpose; are not lockable, not waterproof; and not very big. The bigger one behind the cab is inaccesible unless you want to crawl over the tailgate and the rest of the bed to get to it. Hauling dirt, gravel, sand, mulch, etc. will require a lot of extra work to clean the stuff out of the storage compartments. I wish one of the side compartments was big enough to store a hitch and ball, and be lockable. Someone wasn't thinking at all when they designed the storage compartments.

The '07 could have much more interior storage than it has. There is tons of room under the rear seat and behind the rear seat that could have been used for great storage. The glovebox shape is rediculous.

Ride and handling of the '07 is much superior. The '07 feels much tighter and more truck-like than the first generation.

V8 accelleration and sound is much better than V6. The '07 does not offer a manual transmission as an option.

Gas mileage of all SportTracs suck. If you are concerned about gas mileage, then you don't want a SportTrac.

Exterior styling is a wash between the two generations. 01-05 had the stupid plastic cladding. '07 gets rid of the cladding but has a VW Jetta front grill and no tow hooks.

The 18" tires on the '07 look good, but there are few replacements available, and replacement tires for the '07 start at $180 and go up from there.

I'm sorry that you have such a low opinion of Sport Tracs. I just spent the day driving my 07 Limited 4x4 V8 from Akron, Ohio to the Detroit auto show and back. There were four adults in the truck and the ride and performance are pretty darn good, in my opinion. The only modification so far has been a set of dealer installed 265/65/R18 BFG All-Terrain T/As. Gas mileage was nothing to brag about but the truck has only 457 miles on it. One of the guys with me owns an 04 Sport Trac and he was very impressed with the refinement of the 07. Night and day difference was his comment. Very quiet ride even with the fairly aggressive tread of the T/As. Oh, and the pockets in the front armrests work fine and do not appear to weaken anything. For someone who hasn't spent much, if any time in a new Sport Trac you seem to have a lot of negative opinions. Been doing a lot of reading have we? :rolleyes:

tcxliono:

I have an '07 V8 4X4 ST XLT with less than 1500 miles. So far it is a great truck to drive except for the 6 speed auto. It has funky shifting patterns and is the only thing so far that makes me worry. Someone needed to finish the design and programming for the tranny BEFORE they put it in a vehicle. I have a few other fairly minor items that will be brought up at service time. If someone at FORD would guarentee me I'd get over 120,000 miles out of the transmission I'd be a happy camper.

This is my 1st new FORD and I've never had an issue with GM transmissions. We'll just see how FORD deals with this one. I can live with the tranny if it just lasts a long time....I have never had to replace a tranny in any car I've owned and I keep them for approx 10 years.

I don't mind the interior or the door handles even though they're Job 1 handles everyone seems to dislike. Not the best design but I can live with that.

Everyone loves my '07. The exterior looks great and mine is just a lowly XLT. I do like the grill. The V8 has decent power but does have some sluggish spots which may be blamed on the tranny.

The mileage is not great but I knew it when I bought it that it wouldn't be pretty..... but when you fill up, reality sets in. It is no worse than one would expect. I'm used to cars that get 30 MPG on highway (Grand Prix-GT / Monte Carlo SS)on the highway so this will require an adjustment. Here again, I would think with a 6 speed tranny we would have been able to get closer to 25 MPG highway. Oh well, I did buy an SUV.

Over all, it looks great, runs pretty good, gets decent SUV mileage, the interior is nice, it really hauls and so far it's been a decent vehicle. And by the way, on mine the heater will roast the drivers right foot. The whole truck heats up real well.

Good luck, Gary
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
wow nice feedback guys good read.

anyone else? so far it seems like the 07 is good overall with a few bad things here and there.

i actually own a sport trac 02 and i just wanna see if it's worth the "upgrade."

thanks again guys for the feedback and if anyone else has an opinion on this that would be great. i'm making my decision any day now to keep the 02 or trade it in for the 07

Depends on what you use it for most. If you do off roading at all, id stick with the '02 if you are on the street 99% of the time, then upgrading to the '07 will make you happy. Personally, with Ford Motor Co. about to do some major design changes in the coming years to make themselves competitive again, i'd wait a couple.

"I have an '07 V8 4X4 ST XLT with less than 1500 miles. So far it is a great truck to drive except for the 6 speed auto. It has funky shifting patterns and is the only thing so far that makes me worry."

I experienced this at first, especially the 1-2 shift. I don't know when it adjusted but with 6000 miles it shifts really well.

As far as the earlier models versus the 07 it all depends on what you are looking for. With lots of city and highway driving the 07 wins hands down with the exception of gas mileage. The ride is not even comparable as it is like night and day. The wind noise reduction is significant and the handling is vastly improved even when compared to an 03 with shocks and a sway bar upgrade. There is also the benefit of increased towing capacity. All of these factors are a plus for me as I never wanted to raise, lift, or off road with either vehicle.

All I can say is that I love my 07 ST,,,,,first one I've owned, but knew that when the V8 was offerred, I would be there,,,,,,,lots better than my Ranger, and hope it lasts as long,,,,,,,,,

Latest posts