2007 leaking roof update

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYJohn

Reaction score
The other day I posted about leak from the moonroof dripping out of the dome light on/off switch. Today at the dealer they pinpointed the leak to the Sirius Satelite radio antena on the front of the roof. The service mgr. hinted that this might be a problem with all the Explorer's since this device was installed at the factory. So they had to order some parts and they are keepig my ST untill it's done because now that they took it apart, it's leaking even worse. Hopefully the'll replace the roof material before black and green mold starts growing from water damage. Oh and they gave me a 2005 F150 that's about as long as a school bus to drive for now.

I was thinking about picking up one of those antennas, gutting it and taking the innards of my XM antenna and putting it inside the shell. I have seen it done with a chrysler, but they had the big Sirius antennas. How large is this one, and can you get pics of it off the vehicle???

Good luck finding a wiring harness adapter for the 07 ST radio that will permit the use of XM. I've tried every source I can find and everyone tells me the same thing. No available harness or adapter yet that fits the radio in the 07 (and works through the AUX). I'm using a Roady2 right now. By the way the Sirius antenne works fine on XM and the XM antenna works just fine on a Sirius. I switched from Sirius to XM and never changed the antenna, My son installed my old Sirius audiovox unit in his F-150 and used the antenna I got with the Roady2. Both work just fine with full signal strength.

I don't want to use the factory radio, just the antenna housing. I'll add my own audio equipment. I ordered my ST without the Sirius. I wasn't going to pay that much for something I would not use....

Well now today it turns out that the leak is NOT from the satelite radio antenna. They were hoping that the antenna was installed by an outside company so they could put the blame on them - thats what my service advisor told me. As of today, the service dept. is clueless and have called the engineer department hotline and are waiting for a response from them. Maybe some one down in Louisville can ask them for me. I don't know if these guys are serious with this or just telling me that to satisfy me.I'm begining to get a little concerned.My ST is barely 1 month old and so far it's sitting in the service dept for 2 days with nothing solved.

I still suspect the third brake light, just like on the F150's. The test for those is to turn the fan on high, close all the doors and spray a water/soap mixture around the third brake light, if it bubbles you have a leak. Good luck, I hope the can figure it out.

3 Days and still not fixed- Now they have called the company that makes the sunroof too ask them what to do. So maybe by tuesday a rep. from the sunroof co. will come to the dealership and either fix it, or replace the sunroof. So at best, my ST will be ready by Wednesday. Then there's still the question of replacing the wet headliner. That will probably take a few more days. So I'm looking at 1 full week with out my ST. Does anyone know if Ford will credit me for the time I've been without it?

Do you have an extended warranty?

Since I have an extended warranty, I get a rental car if the work is expected to last overnight.

This is a 2007 ST. It's still covered by the 3 year / 36,000 mile warrenty. It's only 1 month old. The dealer is paying $35 per day for a rental "CAR" I'm paying $15 out of my pocket to have and F150 instead of a Focus.

So..... I guess that is the "credit" given by Ford. Since you don't have use of your vehicle, they are giving you one to use.

My Chrysler had to have the Engine Control Computer replaced and it took over a month to get the part. They paid for a rental car the whole time and the Chrysler sat not accumulating miles:).

If you just have standard warranty then NO, they do not have to credit you anything. You are lucky that the dealer is paying for you because Ford will not. If you have extended warranty they will provide you with x dollars per day for a rental.

9 days later and I finally got my ST back with a new sunroof. Hopefully it's not the same as the original and there's no mold growing in my headliner from the water damage. It's good to have my trac back:D

Did they take the headliner down? I would have questioned them about that. Breathing in mold is pretty bad.

The mold was my biggest concern but they said there's no sign of any. I'll keep an eye on that myslef. My 2001 ST had black and green mold growing on the headliner and sunvisors from the leaky sunroof in that truck.

well after non stop pouring rain today, the roof is leaking AGAIN!!!! This time I looked for myslef and it's not the sunroof, it appears to be coming from the windshield. The headliner is soaked and the center console is soaked from the drips. Back to the dealer again I guess.

ok.. not sure if the 07 roof line has the same indents as the 01 - 05. but on my 01 I had the same issue.

leak inside and headliner was soaked.

Turned out to be the windshield where it meets the roof at the indents. took 3 times of removing and reinstalling the windshield for the installer to get it right.

we made the installer stay untill it was ready to have water on the sealer.. then used a hose to make sure it worked.

but now it has been dry for almost 3 years.

Hope this helps.

Could be a Body-Systems sealer issue, as in the sealer not being applied to the seperate

body seams correctly. (After the panels are welded together, but before they are dipped in

the "Elpo"(Electro-Phosphate Coating Tank). Can any Ford Engineers or Quality Control

Technicians chime in here with me, on this?

We have had the same thing happen to us at G.M., and 90% of the time, especially on

roof, sunroof, or windshield leak issues, (anything on the upper part of the vehicle, on

a new/newer model) it has been this issue. I work closely with the Squeak and Rattle

Engineers, the Trim and Weatherseal Engineers, at G.M. This has GOT to be the

problem on the new Tracs. That's why you never buy one in the first model year of

production! We are trying to get all of the bugs worked out!!!:D

Thanks for the info, I'll try explaining it to the dealer but I'm sure they won't listen. I'll tell them about the windshiled and the body seal also but I know right now they won't listen and they will focus on the sunroof again. I suggested to them last week to check the windshield but they looked at me like I was nuts.

Warranties, factory or otherwise, are extended by the number of days you are deprived use of the vehicle due to warranty repairs.

If they can get it fixed and you have few other problems, then it seems you are good to go. However, if this cannot be fixed or you have many other problems, remember: Lemon Law and Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.